• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Using London slang

Gryphos

Auror
So I'm starting to outline and plan a novel based in a fantasy country called Aldiorn, based on 19th century Britain, exploring the political enfranchisement of the minority centaur population (some of you might have seen the thread I made in the Brainstorming section).

Anyways, so as to illustrate the cultural difference between the centaurs and the humans, I want the centaur community to have a distinct dialect separate from high human society. I considered going the cockney route, but then realised that it would be more appropriate to have the human working class speak cockney. So now I'm considering the idea of having the centaurs speak with modern London slang, as opposed to old cockney.

Picture a centaur approaching another centaur in the street saying, "Ay, fam, why you just standing here for?"

To which the other friend replies, "Waiting for the mandem, innit."

"Ah, calm."

"But last thing I heard they might've got jumped by the police 'round Bensbridge."

"Peak ting."

I understand it would be difficult for readers not familiar with this type of language, but perhaps the necessary details would still be discerned from the narration surrounding the dialogue. Plus, this would only be in scenes where two or more centaurs converse in their natural environment. A lot of the story would revolve around humans and centaurs trying to interact with humans and thus adopting the orthodox Aldiornic dialect.

But still, is this a completely stupid idea?

A good rule for dialects, slang and accents is, if you aren't VERY familiar with the culture in which they were/are used, (as in, you grew up in it) don't. but it's your choice. It certainly would be less annoying than making up a dialect and slang from scratch.

Heliotrope

Staff
Article Team
I think if you included enough body language for context it would be fine... I had no clue what any of that meant that you posted, but with enough context it might be OK.

Gryphos

Auror
A good rule for dialects, slang and accents is, if you aren't VERY familiar with the culture in which they were/are used, (as in, you grew up in it) don't. but it's your choice. It certainly would be less annoying than making up a dialect and slang from scratch.

As a native South Londoner who's lived here all my life, I feel confident enough in this dialect to write it. And I have ready access to people extremely well versed in it, so I should be fine on that front.

As a native South Londoner who's lived here all my life, I feel confident enough in this dialect to write it. And I have ready access to people extremely well versed in it, so I should be fine on that front.

In that case, go for it. Though you might need to offer context so readers understand

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
I like the idea. I used Victorian slang in a steampunk story, but I just selected certain things I loved and HAD to use, like "barking irons" and "bit-shaver" OMG, so much more colorful than normal words, aren't they? When I choose to use slang or whatever, I try to tame it down so it has a hint of flavor, but won't put potential readers off. I say go for it. Once it's written, get a few people to read the story for you, and cast a wide net, to make sure MOST folks will like what you're doing and get what you're saying.

Best wishes!

La Volpe

Sage
I'm with Helio on this. I have no idea what the posted conversation is about, but context would probably sort that out, so you should be fine.

Holoman

Troubadour
Surely you're not talking about Cockney rhyming slang? I can't understand a word of it and I live in London.

I think I would try to write it in a way that it is true to the slang, but also won't cause confusion for someone that has no idea about it.

The problem with this type of slang is that it's only a small group of people that will identify with it. I don't talk like that and I don't know anyone that does, and I live in London, so for me it is no different to someone speaking with American slang, or Aussie slang etc. For example you wrote "Waiting for the mandem, innit." and "Peak ting." I have no idea what either of those means and if there were large parts of dialogue in a book written like that I just wouldn't finish it because I couldn't follow the story.

Russ

Istar
I personally would enjoy a book written that way, but it does risk limiting your audience to a degree.

I would also enjoy reading that. Adds so much flavor. However, like Helio I'd say you'll need context and body language to make it somewhat sensible.

Incidentally, I don't think every such interaction would need to be sensible. A very quick, overheard conversation in which the content isn't relevant to the plot could be inserted at some point. Say, a main character (human? other centaur?) is walking by and overhears it, but is deep in thought about other things, with other goals. It's okay sometimes to leave readers scratching their heads. Of course, any conversation important to the plot and/or character development would need more context.

AJ Stevens

Minstrel
My personal view on this is that it would annoy the hell out of me, and if I picked it up off a shelf and read a page, I'd put it back down again pretty quickly. That's merely personal preference, however, and it doesn't mean it's a bad idea, but I figured you were trying to canvas opinion.

Sorry, but I want words I am familiar with as a reader.

Laurence

Inkling
As cool and menacing as it could be if they sounded like huge dudes from south east, I don't think the words themselves are widespread enough for fantasy yet, a genre which usually appeals to people all over the world.

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Gryphos.

I think that if your story is set at a magical Britain and the British audience is your main target, then by all means go ahead and have your Centaurs speak with a strong London slang and accent. That would make the story and setting feel stronger and more authentic to your readers.

However, it may be confusing for English speakers from other countries.

You also have to consider that, in case that your story becomes successful and gets translated to other languages then the translators will remove all of your carefully built slang and accents. They will be replaced with normal language, or perhaps even with something completely different.

A good example is that in the Spanish editions of Harry Potter that I have read Hagrid's accent was removed completely, and Fleur's accent is written in the way that a French person would sound when speaking Spanish.

Your idea sounds great, I wish you the best with it =)