• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Time skips vs duel timelines

• Thread starter Deleted member 4265
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 4265

[Post Removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

La Volpe

Sage
I think it would be pretty confusing to jump to the future and past by splicing the two together, unless you make it really clear which period is which.

Maybe your story would be better served by having the time skip, depending on how long each part is. How far into your story is the time skip? Is it possible to gloss over the past bit and start the story at the future bit?

An alternative is to do a Kringe in die Bos (Circles in a Forest, Dalene Matthee) or Carrie style thing where you play up the dramatic irony by showing where the past bit will end up, and revealing bits of the future at a time until the two finally intersect. But that could be tricky to do well.

Splicing together future and past would be very confusing. I would avoid having more than one timeline going at once. A time skip is much simpler.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
One way I've discovered to splice times is to allow a single thought to move from one to the other. For example, if a character is acting in the future point, on a task, a thought, whatever it is, and then the past comes next, connected by that thing.

Say, your character is readying a catapult for an attack. The chapter might cut as the order to loose the catapults is given, and then the next chapter opens with a block smashing into a fortress wall two years earlier, when a previous battle was fought, one that determined some outcome that has a bearing on the future?

I hope that makes sense.

Sometimes you see this with memories or whatever. A subject will be the main point. Like, today, I have a feeling, and then I reminisce to the first time I dealt with that feeling, or whatever. I think this is a great tool to tying the future to the past.