• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Vocabulary Thread

Addison

Auror
As I'm having a severe vocabulary brain fart I thought this thread could prove useful to everyone. We've all been starting, deep in the middle or toward the end of a story and come to some part where we have the perfect word to describe something, summarize a ton of description, or for a character to say, but can't remember the stupid word.

So this thread will be for everyone to post questions to find a word to help describe something or, if they can't remember the word, get help to find it.

For example, one of my characters is something of an inventor. At his current stage of finance and experience he uses parts from other things to make his invention. In this circumstance he's using old fashioned rollerblades, (I mean the kind you strap over your shoe, old tubes, recycled waterskins and other things to make boots which would let him climb like Spiderman. So what would be a word to describe an invention made from such random things?

Let's give it a shot guys. Happy Writing. :)

I don't know if there is a specific word for something like that, but using a word like 'contraption' might help convey it's crude build.

Reaver

Staff
I'd use those words previously suggested or perhaps the words ersatz and jerry-rigged.