• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Boosting Productivity

Telcontar

Staff
Just ran across this blog post about how a novelist managed to increase her word count per hour.

Obviously she is a professional novelist who likely has more time than most of us to devote, but she still raises some interesting points. I already do the first one, more or less, but I've never tried keeping track of my progress. Definitely thinking about giving that a try.

Telcontar

Staff
I'm telling all of us to stop slacking off! :) I want Mythic Scribes members to be completing new novels on a regular basis!

Hm, I wonder what percentage of Mythic Scribes forum goers have finished a major work. Like, they-think-it's-ready-to-publish, finished.

I finished the first draft of my novel, but that was a couple of months ago and now I'm in the long slog of rewriting. This has included completely restructuring the last third of the novel, adding a couple of chapters therein, rearranging when certain things happen.

I'm mostly pleased with the fact that there were a couple of large passages (half a chapter or more) that I realized didn't work, and was able to toss them out and start fresh. Two characters end up visiting character A instead of character B. I kept thinking, "Now how do I get them over to B after they're done with A?" and then I realized that the whole set of scenes with B didn't need to happen at all, and so I didn't have to contrive some way for them to get there.

I'm hoping I'm done-done (ready for an editor, not publication) in the next few weeks. I still would like a professional freelance fantasy editor to take a look at it, to see what they think. Speaking of which, anyone know any good editors who would meet those criteria? :)