• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cross continent treasure hunting?

Alex

Troubadour
Ok so I need opinions on whether this is too cliched. The story I'm writing is about a guy hunting for a treasure that was lost 4000 years prior. It's part wilderness survival story as the MC is often stuck in the woods hunting, part war story because while he is searching for this treasure, a war breaks out that he gets stuck in the middle of, and of course, part mystery. I mean, I feel that its kind of cliched. If it gets finished though, it will be my second finished story.

zizban

Troubadour
Don't worry about it. The concept sounds interesting. It won't be cliche if you what you write is interesting enough.

Sounds like you've got a good Macguffin!

That's exactly what my story is about. In the first part of the trilogy, my MC is wandering around the woods, learning survival skills, as he gets drawn into an intrigue involving a set of ancient books.

Check out my sample on my website, the first two chapters posted there, after the prologue, is exactly what you're talking about.

Legend of Alm - Legend of Alm home

zizban

Troubadour
Heck, Stephen King's Dark Tower books are that quest as well. It's not cliche, it's what you do with those ideas.

Jabrosky

Banned
Cross-continent treasure hunts have been done before, but the reason for their popularity is the inherent awesomeness of the concept. Go for it!

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Ok so I need opinions on whether this is too cliched. The story I'm writing is about a guy hunting for a treasure that was lost 4000 years prior. It's part wilderness survival story as the MC is often stuck in the woods hunting, part war story because while he is searching for this treasure, a war breaks out that he gets stuck in the middle of, and of course, part mystery. I mean, I feel that its kind of cliched. If it gets finished though, it will be my second finished story.

You're going to have trouble finding a way to make the work stand out, but if you can do so successfully there's a lot of potential in this kind of story.

Xanados

Maester
It seems fairly standard to me, but it wouldn't be to bad if your version contained a few unique elements. It could work well. Hit or miss.

Alex

Troubadour
Well a lot of basic ideas are standard (so it seems). It's kind of the beginning of an idea, I need key elements

V

Voldermort

I think it sounds like a great story.

Personally, I love treasure hunts.

Question: Is this set in the real world or in a fantasy world? I don't think I've ever seen a straight fantasy take on the treasure hunting genre. (At least, not one that didn't involve pirates.)

Alex

Troubadour
Everything about it is fantasy. The characters, races, weapons etc. There's even undersea cities. So yeah, fantasy

San Cidolfus

Troubadour
One of the biggest selling points on the good ol' fashion adventure story is the likeability of your main character, and the dynamic they share with their faithful--or not so faithful--comrades-in-arms. The action sequences give your narrative bursts of excitement, but it's the characters that will carry the weight of the narrative.

Everything about it is fantasy. The characters, races, weapons etc. There's even undersea cities. So yeah, fantasy

Okay, next question: What kind of guy is your MC? Is he some sort of warrior, or this world's equivalent of an archeologist or historian? Or perhaps something a bit in-between?

Alex

Troubadour
He's quite young, brash, nervous. However he's also witty and funny and does not like to be treated like the small town blacksmith that he is. Basically, he's a young guy just looking for respect. His partner, does not like him at first. She views him as "young, immature and foolish"