Read Reviews on Amazon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cross continent treasure hunting?

Cross continent treasure hunting?

Ok so I need opinions on whether this is too cliched. The story I'm writing is about a guy hunting for a treasure that was lost 4000 years prior. It's part wilderness survival story as the MC is often stuck in the woods hunting, part war story because while he is searching for this treasure, a war breaks out that he gets stuck in the middle of, and of course, part mystery. I mean, I feel that its kind of cliched. If it gets finished though, it will be my second finished story.

Don't worry about it. The concept sounds interesting. It won't be cliche if you what you write is interesting enough.

Sounds like you've got a good Macguffin!

That's exactly what my story is about. In the first part of the trilogy, my MC is wandering around the woods, learning survival skills, as he gets drawn into an intrigue involving a set of ancient books.

Check out my sample on my website, the first two chapters posted there, after the prologue, is exactly what you're talking about.

Legend of Alm - Legend of Alm home
    http://www.legendofalm.com Please visit my website!

Heck, Stephen King's Dark Tower books are that quest as well. It's not cliche, it's what you do with those ideas.

Glad to hear you guys liked the idea

Portfolio Entries
    Cross-continent treasure hunts have been done before, but the reason for their popularity is the inherent awesomeness of the concept. Go for it!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    Ok so I need opinions on whether this is too cliched. The story I'm writing is about a guy hunting for a treasure that was lost 4000 years prior. It's part wilderness survival story as the MC is often stuck in the woods hunting, part war story because while he is searching for this treasure, a war breaks out that he gets stuck in the middle of, and of course, part mystery. I mean, I feel that its kind of cliched. If it gets finished though, it will be my second finished story.
    You're going to have trouble finding a way to make the work stand out, but if you can do so successfully there's a lot of potential in this kind of story.
    "Fairy tales are more than true, not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten." - G. K. Chesterton

Mythic Scribes Articles

It seems fairly standard to me, but it wouldn't be to bad if your version contained a few unique elements. It could work well. Hit or miss.
    http://voidrealm.blogspot.com/
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

Well a lot of basic ideas are standard (so it seems). It's kind of the beginning of an idea, I need key elements

Voldermort
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex View Post
    I think it sounds like a great story.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast