• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Sound Original?

So I have this idea and I was wondering if it is original. Second if its interesting. So here it is. Every chapter are basically short stories told from this campfire and every couple of chapters it will go to the present time and explain further and advance the story. Like maybe the people are refugees and to brighten moods this old man tells stories. I just don't know if every story should be connected or not. Its kind of similar to Name of the Wind I guess.

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The core idea goes back as far as The Canterbury Tales I suppose. It could certainly be interesting. I don't think it necessarily matters if the stories are connected, though they could be. Could be an interesting way to tie a book of short stories together.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
First, I wouldn't worry about being original. Nothing is original. Just make it good. Two, it's definitly a cool way to structure a story. The interesting will come in the writing. I do think the short stories should be applicable to the present story in some way. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned from each tale that can get applied to the present story. It depends on what you want to do.

First, I wouldn't worry about being original. Nothing is original. Just make it good.

That's a very good point, Penpilot! Thanks for pointing that out. I struggle with that very issue all the time! In fact, for years, I worked on a novel, got over halfway done (first draft) with 22,000 words or so, and it was starting to get really good (I thought). Then, I forget what I saw, I read something or saw on tv, it was very similar to my novel that I had written. I thought I had a great story, with true love, drama, adventure... I think it had about everything! But I scrapped it because I thought "what's the use, it's just a clone of another story". But I often wonder.. should I have finished it because it still had many differences that made it unique. I still have the original.. I don't know, I may have to reconsider.

gavintonks

Maester
There are so few original stories they all loop to basics travel, conflict, love, good versus evil and with lost a million books being published a year the likelihood of anything being original is remote, even your description you likened to another story, the difference is owning it and creating a story that grips and keeps the reader clued to the pages.
How many stories are just rehashes of Shakespeare, hundreds and hundreds, creating a new angle on the old is always intriguing as you wonder how will people be more creative when so much is already done and then along comes game of thrones or harry potter with same old stories but turned on their heads

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
I also had similar problems. I'd think of an idea then realize it's been done. Oh, quest story in fantasy? ... been done. Star crossed lovers? ..done. My brain kept cycling through things like that and I wrote nothing. Finally just said frak it. Cliche be dammed, I just wrote.

Food for thought. The movies Jaws, Alien, and the original Friday the 13th are basically the same story.

Oh I love the idea of campfire stories, although obviously the stories being told would have to be interesting, as I'm guessing they would be the main focus point.