• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

On Writing, Stephen King

Steerpike

Felis amatus
A very good book for writers - worth the read if you haven't read it already. This article presents some of the best quotes from the book:

Stephen King’s 20 Tips for Becoming a Frighteningly Good Writer

I particularly like: "Try any goddam thing you like, no matter how boringly normal or outrageous. If it works, fine. If it doesn’t, toss it." I think that ends up being the answer to all the "can I" or "should I" questions, even though as writers I think we sometimes chafe at such general (and obvious) knowledge.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
This was one of my favorite books I've ever read on writing. It's not your typical kind of writing book though. This one and John Gardner's On Becoming a Novelist are two of the best in my opinion. Reading King's book makes sense, because not only does he know the craft but he knows the market, as he's made millions of dollars.

I have gotten most of the way through the book, and have thoroughly enjoyed it. King shines in making his personal story so accessible to the reader, as if it applied to their lives as well. It's also refreshing to see a writer who admits it's okay to play fast and loose with most of the rules, as long as your story is interesting.

zizban

Troubadour
I recommend this book all the time. It changed my writing style enormously. I even credit Stephen King on the acknowledgments page of my book.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Not really a nuts and bolts type of book but a very good book on the attitude a writer should for the most part take.

kennyc

Inkling
Thanks for this. I just had an argument with another poster about King's advice on another forum. I think he is great and appreciate any advice from him or any successful author!

Much appreciated