• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Some Tips and Insight from Steve Berry

Ankari

Hero Breaker
Greetings All,

I was listening to Book Radio on Sirius XM today and they were interviewing an author named Steve Berry. They discussed a lot of interesting topics that have been popular here.

On the subject of getting published:

Steve told the interviewer that he was rejected 85 times before someone finally published him. He said that is a bit higher than the average, which is between 35 to 50, but not as high as he heard some other authors endure. The highest number of rejections he heard an author go through before publication was 121 (yes, he was that specific). The point he made is grow a thick skin and keep honing your skills.

On the subject of learning the art of writing:

He told the interviewer that no one can teach you writing. Writing is a self taught art. There are many books and classes out there (he has a workshop himself) that aid writers. They are not there to teach you anything. They exist to teach you how to teach yourself the art of writing. Anyone who professes they know the the acceptable way of writing really doesn't know.

On the subject of creating a story:

He states that a writer should start in reverse. The best way to build a story is to start from as close to the end as you can. Solidify how you want the ending to be then build a story leading up to the end.

I thought these were great tips and insight.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I find the "write in reverse" advice popping up quite a lot lately. Knowing how the story will end as a good way to structure a story better. And yes, knowing how the story will end is usually exactly where I fail and the story falters.