• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing a "Hook"

Devora

Sage
I realized with one of my short stories that it had lacked a strong hook, that bit in the beginning that makes the reader want to keep reading. It took me awhile to better iterate myself with the structure of a good story in order to fix what I had neglected to repair.

I'm here to ask, in general, what makes a good hook, and how do you approach writing a hook for the story, whether it be a novel or a short?

Give as much advice as you can on the topic.

TWErvin2

Auror
In my experience, having had people read and comment on a number of my published short stories and also having taught English for more than a few years, and getting input on what hooked (or didn't) students on a multitude of short stories, sometimes what an author expects to be the 'hook' really isn't that for readers. It may be a character, a question put out there, an interesting situation, setting or conflict, even a bit of humor.

There are trends, however. My more literal student readers (often more reluctant to read), tend for plot/action/setting if something interests them. My more advanced or those that read for interest in reading, they tend toward characters, a situation or curiosity of what will happen next. So, considering the audience as to what might hook them is something to consider.

Rullenzar

Troubadour
Only problem with what TWErvin is saying is can you hook your agent and publishers? Most won't even finish the first chapter if you can't hook them early. You need to convey an interesting setting/plot/character early or you are screwed. And to do this you need a great starting paragraph that sets up your setting and has breadcrumbs worked in brilliantly to make your reader ask questions from the start. You don't need to give away much, you just need them asking questions so they read further. Once you hook them in your first paragraph they are yours for the ride.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
There are trends, however. My more literal student readers (often more reluctant to read), tend for plot/action/setting if something interests them. My more advanced or those that read for interest in reading, they tend toward characters, a situation or curiosity of what will happen next. So, considering the audience as to what might hook them is something to consider.

Awesome response, Terry!

Though I understand the importance of setting up plot question, I tend to get hooked by the character rather than the plot. For me, give me a character that I care about, and I'll read your book pretty much regardless of what else happens.

Only problem with what TWErvin is saying is can you hook your agent and publishers? Most won't even finish the first chapter if you can't hook them early. You need to convey an interesting setting/plot/character early or you are screwed. And to do this you need a great starting paragraph that sets up your setting and has breadcrumbs worked in brilliantly to make your reader ask questions from the start. You don't need to give away much, you just need them asking questions so they read further. Once you hook them in your first paragraph they are yours for the ride.

Not always. It is possible to lose the reader after initially incurring their curiosity.

Every time you answer a question for the reader, you must ask a new one.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Not always. It is possible to lose the reader after initially incurring their curiosity.

Every time you answer a question for the reader, you must ask a new one.

Yes, I think this is true. I've put down books that showed a lot of promise with a great opening and just sort of fizzled out and lost my interest after that.