• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I need some great names for some characters

NinjaI

Dreamer
I am in the middle of writing a book about Ninjas and I need some names for some of the characters - also need some names for some cities and villages - I don't really want to use real names of cities and villages and would like to use some unique sounding names for the characters and cities and villages - does anyone have any suggestions on how to create names of characters and cities? Any input would be appreciated and if you think of any cool names to use let them fly I would like to hear them.
Thanks
NinjaI

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
Is this in a fantasy world or in Japan, where ninjas are actually from? If you're going to use the Japanese ninjas, I'd do some research and find out what some common names during the Sengoku Period (15th-17th century Japan). A great place to start, as always, is Wikipedia. Not the best source of information always, but I'm sure you can find some info there.

In the case of a fantasy world, do you still plan to keep the Asian flair to the ninja? If so, then you could look at something like Tales of the Otori, which uses sort of a fantasy based Japanese setting. If you don't think you're going to use an Asian setting, then coming up with names might be easier. You could give people code names like they did on GI Joe (Storm Shadow and Snake Eyes are two of the coolest names ever, in my opinion, and they're both ninjas.)

If you have an idea what you want your setting or style to be, maybe I can help more.

NinjaI

Dreamer
thanks for the ideas - I will definitely look into the tales of Otori and research the Sengoku Period and get a better idea of names for characters and places. I would like to keep the setting similar to one of ancient japan - I do like your idea of code names that can have something to do with what kind of character they are - 2 of my names are like that already but didn't even realize they were code names. I agree with "snake eyes" as one of the coolest names ever and was actually thinking of using it as a title possibly for the second book in the series if I get that far - but I need to finish the first one first before I'd even consider writing a second one. So glad I found this site, just when I thought I hit a wall, I find this site and have a renewed energy to keep on writing.

NinjaI

Dreamer
Wow - I was having a hard time coming up with names, but after reading some of those names I feel like there will be more authenticity in my story having authentic names of characters and cities - thanks so much