• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How will you tackle your writing productivity in 2013?

Another interesting article, this time from Joanna Penn about productivity for the new year. There is a podcast on the link which goes over what's in the post, but it is good to hear people hash it out and discuss it.

Productivity For Writers And Taking Writing Seriously

Today's question: What are you planning on doing to be more productive with your writing in the new year?

I'd be very interested to see what everyone has planned out. Perhaps it can inspire others to be more productive.

Xaysai

Inkling
That's a terrific link!

I just purchased Scrivener yesterday and am in love with the word count tracker as I am finding that it really keeps me motivated to just write.

In as little as two days it has actually changed the way I write. Previously, I struggled to write productively because I wouldn't type out anything which wasn't PERFECT (at least to me), but now I just watch the word count tracker go UP AND UP as the words pour out of me. I then go back to edit it, and have found that not only am I getting more writing out of my time investment, I am getting better ideas because a few nuggets get panned out of the stream of consciousness.

For me this year, I would like to start with a 1,000 word a day goal and take it from there.

That's a terrific link!

I just purchased Scrivener yesterday and am in love with the word count tracker as I am finding that it really keeps me motivated to just write.

In as little as two days it has actually changed the way I write. Previously, I struggled to write productively because I wouldn't type out anything which wasn't PERFECT (at least to me), but now I just watch the word count tracker go UP AND UP as the words pour out of me. I then go back to edit it, and have found that not only am I getting more writing out of my time investment, I am getting better ideas because a few nuggets get panned out of the stream of consciousness.

For me this year, I would like to start with a 1,000 word a day goal and take it from there.

That's good! I bought Scrivener with my NaNo winner discount two years ago but never was serious about it. I'll have to dive in and see what I can do in order to make it work for me.

And these are some decent goals, my friend. Best of luck to ya!

Amanita

Maester
Well, in my case, it's mainly a matter of discipline. I need to get myself to write rather than waste my time, mainly on the internet. During NaNo I managed to do it, but it's become harder again. The wordcount stuff does help.
I hope that the fact that I might not be able to do much more fantasy writing anymore from next fall onwords makes me get my stuff written more quickly now too. Or maybe I will find time even then...

I actually wanted to write now, so why am I here?

Chilari

Staff
I'm taking some advice from that article and planning some writing time into my day. I've even booted up Outlook and linked my email to it to use the calendar function to block out time for specific tasks. I'm going to set aside a time slot every day just for writing, even if I don't have a novel, just to write something.

Well, in my case, it's mainly a matter of discipline. I need to get myself to write rather than waste my time, mainly on the internet. During NaNo I managed to do it, but it's become harder again. The wordcount stuff does help.
I hope that the fact that I might not be able to do much more fantasy writing anymore from next fall onwords makes me get my stuff written more quickly now too. Or maybe I will find time even then...

I actually wanted to write now, so why am I here?

The key thing here is to not be too hard on yourself either. There is a balance you must achieve. All work and no play makes for sheer waffles... er... insanity.

I'm taking some advice from that article and planning some writing time into my day. I've even booted up Outlook and linked my email to it to use the calendar function to block out time for specific tasks. I'm going to set aside a time slot every day just for writing, even if I don't have a novel, just to write something.

That's a good idea too. There was a Lifehacker article on the "proper" way to do a to-do list as well (for those who love the to-dos). I'll have to dig that up.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
http://mythicscribes.com/forums/writing-groups/6379-word-warriors-daily-writing-group-6.html#post81919

We have this here at Mythic Scribes. There's only about three of us, but I update it everyday. I set word count goals everyday and word war challenges. We have a daily prompt as well. It's mostly for just encouraging each other to stay on the wagon so to speak. We'd love for more people to come by if they need the extra motivation.

It has gotten me to write at least 1,000 words everyday (except days when I go out for a party or some such). Almost without fail I get writing done everyday now because I've disciplined myself to do it. There are no real fancy tricks to being productive, I don't think. Just sit down and write and resist the urge to do anything else until you're finished.

Jess A

Archmage
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are the most relevant to me.

I manage a lot of different things in life - as do most of us - and I often find that whilst my best writing time is usually at night time when the day is over, I am coming home mentally drained and tired. So I need to learn to write at any time of the day and to utilise time better. For instance, if I have an hour at the hairdresser, or I take a break whilst doing Christmas shopping to head to a cafe, or there's a quiet period at work - I will write, plot, plan...anything constructive. I feel I manage time quite well, but I am struggling to fit this novel into it all.

Number 3 is important because I always feel as though it's too big a project for me. I don't like what I write, I re-write and ditch, re-write and ditch. I've been improving on that, but it's a long process for me. It usually sends me racing back to the research stage or plot stage, or it makes me shut off and I put a film on or read a book or hit the newspaper - thus nothing else gets done. When I was in China a few months ago for a holiday, I spent a lot of time re-working the plot. I drew up a proper map and I did some serious work on the book. Pity I came back and decided that even the re-worked plot felt too forced - I've since re-worked it again. I need to kick myself out of this mind-set. There's destructive re-working and there's constructive re-working. But at the same time, I don't feel as though I've done the wrong thing by changing it. Thus number 6 is also comes into play. I need to write and edit later. I tend to edit as I go (and then after) when doing news articles for instance, so it's a habit.

So next year for me will be tackling those things (among others). Though I'm not waiting for next year to start! ;)

Last edited:
Numbers 1, 2 and 3 are the most relevant to me.

I manage a lot of different things in life - as do most of us - and I often find that whilst my best writing time is usually at night time when the day is over, I am coming home mentally drained and tired. So I need to learn to write at any time of the day and to utilise time better. For instance, if I have an hour at the hairdresser, or I take a break whilst doing Christmas shopping to head to a cafe, or there's a quiet period at work - I will write, plot, plan...anything constructive. I feel I manage time quite well, but I am struggling to fit this novel into it all.

Number 3 is important because I always feel as though it's too big a project for me. I don't like what I write, I re-write and ditch, re-write and ditch. I've been improving on that, but it's a long process for me. It usually sends me racing back to the research stage or plot stage, or it makes me shut off and I put a film on or read a book or hit the newspaper - thus nothing else gets done. When I was in China a few months ago for a holiday, I spent a lot of time re-working the plot. I drew up a proper map and I did some serious work on the book. Pity I came back and decided that even the re-worked plot felt too forced - I've since re-worked it again. I need to kick myself out of this mind-set. There's destructive re-working and there's constructive re-working. But at the same time, I don't feel as though I've done the wrong thing by changing it. Thus number 6 is also comes into play. I need to write and edit later. I tend to edit as I go (and then after) when doing news articles for instance, so it's a habit.

So next year for me will be tackling those things (among others). Though I'm not waiting for next year to start! ;)

Awesome. Sometimes that's all it takes is a commitment to do it and the idea that you can break the habits as long as you can make it a choice. I know I struggled with it today, trying to get 1000 words out in the cold at 5 am. It got done, but it was VERY hard to do.

Remember, we are all here to support each other too. Well, except that Leif guy, he's an ass ;)

MAndreas

Troubadour
I think its how we see ourselves as writers, if we see ourselves as professionals (forget about no money just yet) then we have to take our writing "job" seriously- as seriously as we do our boring day jobs that pay the bills. Now getting to and keeping that mindset is another kettle of fish- but that's what I'm aiming for in 2013! Set high goals and hold yourself accountable for them :).

Great post btw!