• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Huh, could go either way..

JCFarnham

Auror
I've just discovered an odd situation. I've been happily writing away at my latest science fiction offering for a few days now ("1000" words every day since starting), and it's only just dawned on me...

I'm not exactly sure whether this is a novel or a work of serial fiction? It could genuinely go either way.

I've so far been billing it as serial short fiction. Usually you just know what it's going to be right? I was pretty sure of that too but I have no idea on this one.

Anyway, this isn't a "What do I do?" thread, it's a "How 'bout that? Any one else?" thread.

Saigonnus

Auror
I don't tend to think about in those terms myself. I don't usually "classify" a piece of work (only finished a short story, but still needs to be edited) until it's finished so I know the full content of what is in it.

JCFarnham

Auror
Seriously though. The way I see it, even when I do finish, I could publish it as either. Chapter as a chapter, or a chapter as a short story.

Perhaps the market needs to decide!

Saigonnus

Auror
Maybe... my finished short story is definitely in the realm of fantasy... kobolds riding cows, witches, an elvish assassin, ogres and a quest for cheese. :p

Perhaps you should let the market decide, or go for the one that has more popularity at the moment.

JCFarnham

Auror
Caveat - I'm not now or ever going to rush into submitting before a piece is ready, especially not as a self-publisher considering the amount of dross you have to fight through without publisher backing.

Now with that in mind:

It would be kind of nice to try out the self publishing game for real and the quickest and easiest way to do that would be releasing this as a serial. Let's not forget a good number of classic novels began their published life that way.

Like I said, I'm in an interesting position here with numerous viable possibilities.