• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Keep from getting overwhelmed?

Mtsky112

Acolyte
I am currently working on a trilogy. This is my first story that goes beyond one book. I was wondering is anyone had any tips on keeping everything straight and not getting overwhelmed. I know this is a broad question but any tip at all will be appreciated. :)

Jamber

Sage
Hi Mtsky112,

I guess, to put it simply, whatever you do with one novel needs to be done with three at once, so if you use one whiteboard, get two more and have them side by side on a wall. If you use index cards, have 3 sets that can be laid out next to each other. This is so you can see at a glance the major character arcs and plot points or important thematic moments, and tell whether they work as separate but related parts of a trilogy.

Sorry if that's terribly obvious—I've only just started working on something like the above. For the really detailed stuff, it might make sense to do plot summaries of each chapter as you write, and that way any deviations from the overall plan are easy to spot when it comes to drafting books 2 and 3...

Good luck with it, it's a huge undertaking, :)
Jennie

ascanius

Inkling
Ohhh, did I have this problem. The thing that I found to work best for me is have a plan of attack. I wrote out a list of things to do. It was basic such as "write out a list of all major characters" etc. Then as I got further down the list things became more complex such as plot, outline etc. Another thing I realized I needed to do was create an organizational system that works for me. The thing with an organizational system though is it needs to be simple and to the point. When I first started organizing I ended up creating a bureaucracy instead. I had character lists for the main characters, then another list of characters that was a reference to plot, then another that dealt with characters and settings it was a mess. Keep it SIMPLE, very simple, it really helps with the feeling of becoming overwhelmed.
Another thing I tried to figure out and plot every book in the series, I would recommend figuring out key events/points that move the plot from book one, two, three. The details don't matter because, frankly you haven't gotten to that point yet, don't ignore them if they come anyway write them down for use in a brainstorming doc. If however you want to outline all the books go for it. I personally would keep the outline fluid so if things change significantly I don't have to rework the last to books from the ground up.

Other than that I would include the advice every one else posted, outlining has been especially useful to me. Good luck.