• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing in Past or Present tense.

Addison

Auror
I know that when writing you want to choose the best POV and character to tell the story through. But the tense? Aren't most, if not all stories written in the past tense? I suppose writing in the present tense gives a feeling of immediacy, but would it be possible to write a novel in present tense and keep the reader's interest?

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
For my tastes I much prefer past tense. Present tense is done on occasion but it almost always feels awkward for me as a reader. A short story I might be able to handle in present. Doubt I could stomach an entire novel written that way.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Present tense is on the rise. I particularly see it a lot more in YA/Teen. It still isn't predominant by any means. It doesn't matter to me either way. I've read a number of novels written in present tense and to be honest once I'm getting into the story I don't really care or consciously notice which it is, if the writer has done a good job. YMMV.

Jamber

Sage
I think it's often used in literary writing too, where it can convey different effects. For instance it might be adding a dreamlike feel, or a scriptlike element, or a sense of unpredictable immediacy.

Whatever it's doing, I tend to read despite it rather than because of it. It's so easy for a style choice to seem a cheap gimmick, and present tense is one that flags that possibility (at least to me).

cheers
Jennie

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
There have been plenty of good books written in present tense. Two that come to mind are Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson and Yiddish Policemens Union by Michael Chabon.

Yes, most books are in past tense, but I also have noticed a climb in the number of books I encounter that are written in present tense.

From my personal experience, writing in present tense makes it harder to shift into introspection, which is pretty important IMHO.

The Unseemly

Troubadour
I usually find that stories written in first person are in present tense, and stories written in third person are written in past tense. When I do my own writing, I usually like "explaining" things in past tense, and having all the action etc. done in present tense.

Relating to your other questions: POV of characters is something that varies, I have found. When they're thinking about something, or otherwise "remembering" it, then it's in past tense. When they have thoughts directly linked to the situation at hand, it's present tense.

There's also a "narrator" in many stories, where there's no particular POV, usually written in past tense.

And where if there's more past than present tense? Shrug, I really don't know, and don't mind either.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I usually find that stories written in first person are in present tense, and stories written in third person are written in past tense.
Stories written in 1st Person are still mostly done in past tense. There may be a higher percentage of present tense within first person narratives compared to third, that I wouldn't know. However, both 1st & 3rd person POVs are almost always past tense.

One approach to this question that I haven't seen before--how does the protagonist think? Some characters live in the moment, not bothering with past or future. Others may find themselves overwhelmed by the past, unable to escape their memories. (Or to put it another way, I think present tense works well with characters who're very alive, and past tense works well with characters who're halfway to being dead.)

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
I love writing in present tense, though I'm happy to read either. I would say write in your comfort zone. My comfort zone is 1st-present because I like to picture events through the character's eyes as the events are happening. As a result, pacing is right (I think) but description is minimal.

Just know that word choice matters when you choose your tense. It's easy to goof that up in present (since it's likely that most of what you and I read is in past tense). One example was a challenge I recently wrote on this site. I had a line in which the MC was reacting to a boy's expression. She sees his face, but doesn't know he's reacting to his father's unexpected death. I wrote from the MC's POV, "At first I don't know why…" then realized she can't think "at first" about an event in progress!

I don't like reading in present tense that much but I suppose that could probably be the result of continuous hours reading past tense. Heck, I even have trouble writing a post for fear I screw it up (exaggeration, think nothing of it).
If the question came down to it, I doubt I could write anything in present tense that was more than 300 words, though I have much more faith in you all.

Reading a story in present feels kind of weird, especially in the dialogues. I say, he says, she screams, could never get used to it.

Still, these are the opinions of an avid past tense reader and a Darren Shan hater.

Interesting range of observations, that present tense is sometimes used. But mostly:

Present tense is an experimental mode, not a regular one. If you have to ask which tense to use, use past.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Present tense is an experimental mode, not a regular one. If you have to ask which tense to use, use past.

I don't think I'd go that far. There are a lot of present tense books out there in mainstream literature, and the number of them appears to me to be growing (or I'm just finding a lot more of them thank I used to). I think it is well past the point of being experimental.

Addison

Auror
Let's put this to an experiment shall we?

Present tense: He looks up at the sky, the moon and stars gleam in the ink-black sky. His dagger is heavy in his hand, the stench of blood makes his stomach twist. The stars wink and leer at him. Where was the creature now? Up in the sky, looking at him with hunger for revenge, or below is feet in hopes he falls? He doesn't know, nor care. All he cares is that, in his crazy world, it stays dead.

Past tense: He looked up at the sky, the moon and stars gleamed in the ink-black sky. His dagger was heavy in his hand, The stench of blood made his stomach twist. The stars winked and leered at him. Where was the creature now? Up in the sky, looking at him, hungry for revenge, or below his feet hoping he'd fall? He didn't know, nor care. All he cared was that, in his crazy world, it stayed dead.

Personally they're both good in my opinion.

Oh, and if writing in present tense, would you write "he walks down the corridor," or "he's walking down the corridor," ?

Last edited:

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Personally they're both good in my opinion.

Yeah, I agree. I also think you can accomplish whatever you want equally well with either one. I understand that some readers seem to be put off by certain tenses or points of view, but that idea is odd to me.

Legendary Sidekick

The HAM'ster
Oh, and if writing in present tense, would you write "he walks down the corridor," or "he's walking down the corridor," ?
Usually "is walking" as progressive forms are actions in the moment (in progress).

More specifically, if it's 1st-person, you'd usually use present progressive for observed actions, but simple present for the narrator's decided actions.

EXAMPLE:
I walk down the hall. I know an ambush awaits, but standing around only endangers my comrades who are already crossing swords with the enemy. I pray my party members do not die because of my hesitance—my cowardice.

(The narrator is walking during the entire paragraph, but he narrates at the start of the action; therefore, simple present not only sounds better but is grammatically correct. His comrades are already in battle; therefore they are crossing swords—present progressive, since the crossing of swords is in progress.)

Jessquoi

Troubadour
I recently read a novel that was in the present tense. At first it was uncomfortable, but it gives the story a kind of timeless feel. It made me as the reader feel no demand to know what time period the story took place in. It could be handy to use if you want your story to play out in some unknown time period. I'm pretty sure the Hunger Games was written in the present tense, not that you want to go for writing that simple, but it may draw in the reader especially if you plan on writing a lot of action scenes.