• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Titling a Book

Subcreator

Minstrel
I'm about 2,000 words away from finishing my novel, which I plan on submitting to agents for traditional publication. Now, I realize that publishers have the final say in what a book is titled, but I still want to make sure I have a title that stands out. Originally, I had been calling it Escape from Shadow, but that just doesn't quite fit what it's about.

For a little explanation, the Song of the Tiger (often called the Avranu in the book) is the magic that is used by the Singers, priests of the Foresters, elven gods who are revealed to be demons pretty early in the book. Essentially, a man who hates the Foresters for pretty much destroying his family is called by Ilahar, the enemy of the Foresters, to be a prophet. At the same time, there's a conspiracy (aided by the Foresters themselves) to return the elves to their violent and depraved past. The Shadow refers to the Veil of Shadows, which is the barrier between the physical and spiritual realms.

A few of my ideas and problems I see with them.

Escape from Shadow: Not descriptive enough.

Song of Shadow and Flame: GRRM ripoff title. No good.

Singer of the Forest: Too simplistic and nothing of the action of the story. Besides the Singer isn't even the main protagonist.

Shadowfire: Too generic.

Singer of (well, anything): It just irks me.

If this goes better in the Publishing section, please move it there.

Subcreator

Minstrel
The Veil itself is somewhat minor, unfortunately. There is one scene where a character goes into it, but it's more referenced in dialogue referring to the breaking of it.

[Edit: Veil of Shadows is also already being used.]

Last edited:

The Din

Troubadour
Just a heads up. If you haven't finished writing it, then there'll still be a s**t-ton of editing needs doing before you send it off. If I misunderstood then please ignore.

I personally wouldn't use any title with the word shadow in it as it's been done to death, though I've heard you're actually more likely to do well with a generic sounding name. I'd also stay away from song or singer in any form for much the same reason. From what you've mentioned, I'd try something like:

-Enemy Forest

-Corruption of Elves

-The Prophet's Retribution

-etc... Always good to google what you come up with. I literally didn't stop searching for a title until my final choice had zero results come up, but I'm weird like that. It's a good way to avoid embarrassing situations later.

Subcreator

Minstrel
Hm, those are interesting titles, but I'm not sure.

Also, I have already done a lot of editing. What happened is that I was on my intended final read-through when I realized a few plot-holes that needed filling in, and that's what I'm working on right now. I should also explain that this is the first book in an intended series. Should that affect the titling of it?

Nebuchadnezzar

Troubadour
I have to say, "The Song of the Tiger" sounds like a great title to me. If I was in the store I'd at least pick it up and read the back cover.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Do you think it would make a difference if the Tiger was actually the villain?

I don't think so. There are plenty of stories named for the villain. The Phantom of the Opera and The Lord of the Rings are two pretty well-known ones.

Subcreator

Minstrel
Considering what happens with the Avranu (the Tiger's Song), that sounds like a good title now. Also, Song of the Tiger or Tiger's Song?

Nebuchadnezzar

Troubadour
Considering what happens with the Avranu (the Tiger's Song), that sounds like a good title now. Also, Song of the Tiger or Tiger's Song?

I'd personally go with The Song of the Tiger rather than Song of the Tiger. Not sure why -- it just sounds better to me somehow. I'd still pick up a book titled Song of the Tiger in the store to see what it's about.

In terms of it being the first of a series, it opens the option of titling later books along the lines of The Song of the [blank] or The [blank] of the Tiger.

The Din

Troubadour
Definitely not the tiger's song, unless your tiger can sing... I'm still iffy about using the word song in a title, though it seems I am in the minority. Something about claiming a novel as a song -even when Martin did it- doesn't sit right with me, but each to their own. I'll still read it if it's quality writing.

Good luck getting published