• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Writing a synopsis of your story

C

Chessie

Anyone have tips on this? I'm wanting to create a one sentence blurb about it well as a shoet one (few lines) but I'm having trouble. Any suggestions on how some of you have done this would be much appreciated!

Trick

Auror
My two cents...

list chronologically the characters and events that are crucial, just a bulletpoints list, and then try to write a few lines that cover all of them. obviously you can leave out anything meant to be mysterious or names that aren't supposed to be revealed until it's actually read but you can easily get the gist of the story across regardless.

ex. (I like to imagine these things in that deep, raspy movie intro voice... because it's fun)

In a land frought with war, a young girl leaves her family behind to journey to a far land and face an enemy she knows nothing about. Her general becomes a mentor and a friend but will his lessons and her courage be enough to destroy the evil that threatens her homeland? Or will she lose her way as so many others have and fail to gain the power of the Gelsari?

Anyhow, that's just thrown together but I'm sure you get the idea.

Azza

Scribe
The recommended length for a synopsis is at least 1-2 pages, but most publishers prefer between 2 and 10 pages. A guideline put forward by some publishers is one synopsis page to every 25 pages of manuscript. Obviously though, it's quality over quantity, and as long as you get ALL of the important twists, characters and plot developments in there, that's fine. Here's quite a good page giving some tips on synopsis writing:

6 Steps for Writing a Book Synopsis | Marissa Meyer

Trick's example above is a good example of a blurb, if that's what you're after then a few lines is suitable, detailing an interesting aspect of your story, without revealing the plot to an extent that spoils it for the reader.

For a full synopsis, I often write a few paragraphs on each chapter, giving an overview of each - and then combine them and hey presto!

A synopsis is to be sent to the publisher accompanying perhaps the first 25 pages (or first few chapters) of polished work. If your aiming to be published, then once you are accepted by a publisher, it is likely he / she will come up with an ideal blurb for your book that will encourage people to buy it.

Trick

Auror
Thank you Azza

I was going to point out that what Chesterama described is not a Synopsis but I just went with the OP question.

Chesterama, are you self publishing and need the Blurb for that?

C

Chessie

I'm considering self publishing. I need some condensing in my story and I think this well help. Thank you both for the suggestions, I'm checking out that link Azza!

A common formula for a one-sentence blurb is "(Protagonist) (fights/races/investigates/struggles/__) against (antagonist) to (save/prevent/restore/achieve __)," often with a sense of place or the character's history (and specific dramatic irony or intensity) in the sentence somewhere.

I like to take particular care to use the right nouns. Verbs may be best for energizing a scene that's already in motion, but nothing paints a first picture faster than getting in a word like "pirate" or "astrologer" or "stripper."

--Though there are other ways, like Shadowed's "He can hear a whisper a block away, and can't remember why."

C

Chessie

Penpilot, thank you for that awesome link. I like the simplicity of his suggestions and its been helpful. Rad. :D

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
I find at least three levels of summaries.

1. The "blurb". One sentence, or fewer than 50 words; in some cases fewer than 25.
2. The summary. This is typically around 200 words and is used to summarize your work for posting in critique circles, on a blog, or other places.
3. The synopsis. That's the one for the agent or publisher, the 2-pager (or about 500 to 1000 words). In most cases, the destination site will specify a length, but you should have one ready to go at around that length.

Anyone know of other lengths? Each one has its own challenges. I suck at all of them. When someone asks you about your book, you should probably have both 1 and 2 memorized and ready.