• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Self Doubt

Weaver

Sage
I'm not quite my own worst critic, but I do tend to listen too much to the people who are, even when I know they're wrong.

Trick

Auror
I think the bigger problem arises from people who aren't anywhere near their own worst critic.

Mythopoet

Auror
I'm definitely my own worst critic, but that's true of every area of my life not just writing. However, I'm also obsessively devoted to logic, reason and truth so I always have detailed and consistent reasons for all my criticisms of myself. I'm not sure if all of this is a good thing or a bad thing.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I am without a doubt my own worse critic. Fortunately I have Curatia to curb my worse impulses and laugh at my typos. Having a built-in writing partner is without a doubt a blessing.

C

Chessie

^^Lucky indeed. I bet its so much fun writing with another person. I'd love to do that someday.

I think my problem is the fact that I'm an anal-retentive perfectionist. Even if I spend 20 minutes plotting out scene details, I'll still not get it just right enough to be satisfied. That's how I sabotage my work, by expecting too much instead of going with the flow. Currently working on getting better at that (pun intended).

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
No, I'm not even in the top ten. I fail to see all kinds of things than an outside editor or reader spots at once.

There is a significant difference between being a critic and being critical. Perhaps you are confusing the two?

C Hollis

Troubadour
Regardless of the reviews I have received, I know my first book could be better. I feel like it is filled with flaws that need to be corrected, and I refuse to read it because I will be disappointed with what I did.

If that is what you call being your worst critic, then I must agree.

teacup

Auror
No, I'm the opposite. I'm always pleased with my work. I check through it, change things here and there, post it here and then realise it's a lot worse than I thought. Thank goodness for showcase.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Indeed, I'm still quite pleased I'm actually writing something and I'm fairly happy with the texts I'm producing.

I guess that it's mainly because I'm not good enough a writer yet to really know what I'm doing or what makes something good/bad.

Scribble

Archmage
I am my own worst critic, but it has gotten easier as I get older. I'm not as afraid of looking foolish as I was when I was younger. I'm also a lot more forgiving of myself, as I have more of a sense of humor about the stupid things I do.

I'm not as afraid of failure as I once was, because I've realized failure isn't final and perfection can never be achieved. The only thing you can achieve is this: You get things to the point where they are as good as you can get them in the time you have with the available resources.

This isn't merely something I tell myself to make myself feel better about my mistakes and foolish ideas. This is the very creative process of life. Organisms are not perfect, not any plant or animal, they are the successful iterations of a previous version. There is no perfection, there's optimization, there's refinement, but no perfection. It is just an idea.

The idea of perfection can guide my efforts, but it isn't a goal, because it doesn't exist. That gives me a lot more creative freedom.