• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Excellent resource for weapons and armor

Alec

Acolyte
Just checked his channel out real fast, and it seems quite interesting.

I've been wanting more in-depth material about swords and armor than just wikipedia pages.

Thanks!

Nazata

Acolyte
This looks like a fantastic resource, I've been writing about a character who is the son of a blacksmith, and ended up spending a considerable amount of time that could have been spent writing on researching nuances of viking weaponry and armor.
Thanks Miskatonic!

Here is another great channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3WIohkLkH4GFoMrrWVZZFA

It deals with similar content but also goes into critiquing movies and video games where sword fights are concerned and the stuff that is not realistic in any context outside of that fantasy world.

He also has a great video basically proving via physics why Cloud from FFVII could not use that sword in combat, even in the context of that fantasy world.

Alec

Acolyte
Just watched one of his videos on a sword review. Not everything he talked about was useful as far as fantasy goes but it's definitely a solid resource.

Thanks for another great link!

Just watched one of his videos on a sword review. Not everything he talked about was useful as far as fantasy goes but it's definitely a solid resource.

Thanks for another great link!

Yes it's the dreaded "realism" element. :)

Here is another great channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3WIohkLkH4GFoMrrWVZZFA

It deals with similar content but also goes into critiquing movies and video games where sword fights are concerned and the stuff that is not realistic in any context outside of that fantasy world.

He also has a great video basically proving via physics why Cloud from FFVII could not use that sword in combat, even in the context of that fantasy world.

Skallagrim is one of my favorite channels. I usually have his videos running in the background as I write. His information is incredibly useful.

Skallagrim is one of my favorite channels. I usually have his videos running in the background as I write. His information is incredibly useful.

Agreed. He's given a lot of great advice on his channel that has helped me to re-think the fight scenes I'm working on. I'll still include some stuff that requires suspension of disbelief because supernatural physical and mental attributes can't be calculated in our reality, but when dealing with the average mortal it doesn't hurt to limit what they are capable of and what makes sense when they are trying to survive in combat.

A.J.

Dreamer
I agree with most of these replies. Defiantly will help with how my fight scenes will play out more realistically. Thanks.