• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Books on Humor Writing

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'm looking for recommendations on resources that teach humor writing.

To be specific, I don't want to write comedies. I just want to interject humor into my storytelling.

The post title says books because I learn well from reading & rereading. However, any resources you'd recommend would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Okay, so this isn't a book on comedy, and it's not very instructive, but it's quite funny, and it can serve as an example of how to inject some humor in your writing: 21 actual analogies used by high school students in essays - Album on Imgur

It's a bunch of really bad analogies, but they can serve as a good example on how to achieve a comical effect by contrasting things that are normally not related to each other.

Bekka King

Scribe
Two additional resources might be helpful. Neither specifically "teach" humor writing, but very creatively demonstrate the use of humor in the course of presenting material:

1) Stephen King's book "On Writing." Probably available at your local library.

2) Billy Crystal's 2014 "movie" entitled "700 Sundays." It's a two-hour self-reflective stand-up comedy routine. He's so popular that my local library has it. Maybe your library carries it, too?

Bekka

Bekka King

Scribe
To clarify, it's not that the book is written with references to humor. Rather, it is humorously written. I find the anecdotes he tells and the way he tells them to be hilariously funny, thereby a demonstration of funny writing.