Fantasy Writing Discussions May 13, 2013

Bookmark and Share
  • The other POV
    When most writers begin writing a story they worry about whether it’s best in first or third person. They spend little time wondering about which…
  • Overly influenced by RPGs
    I think I’ve lost my mind. I’m working on the third book of my series, and like many fantasy writers, my characters and settings are heavily…
  • How to have characters with distinctive personalities
    I don’t want every character to have the same dialogue or same reaction to events, I want every character to stand out from each other. I also would…
  • What to do when grammar gets you down.
    I’ve been getting feedback on my work. Story is solid, but the grammar and use of adjectives needs work. My trouble with commas is getting me…
  • World magic based on music
    So, I know that there are a lot of threads posted about magic, and here I am adding to yet another one, but there are so many interesting and…
  • When the ‘bad guy’ does the homework
    I’m developing further an old idea/plot and I’ve became stuck in a important point. So, let me explain.
    That is three people, cursed with…
  • Travel: 101
    I have a minor hiccup in my story at the moment. After spending a lot of time walking, hiking, sneaking… to the climax of the story, I am needed to…
  • Robert Jordan and his prologues
    This is more of a rant than anything else, but I could never figure out how Robert Jordan decided what should go in a prologue and what should go in…
  • Too many ideas
    I’m in the planning stage, I have a notebook that I take everywhere with me to jot down ideas. Recently I’ve landed on one that I really like the…
  • Fixing a country wracked by civil war
    I won’t get to this story for a while, but I’ve been thinking about it recently, and there’s no harm in laying the groundwork. The story involves a…
  • Providing Background info
    I need help with this. I’m having a hard time trying to tell the reader background information without dragging them out of the story. Here’s the…
To have future articles delivered to you, subscribe to our weekly newsletter or to our RSS feed. To respond to this article, leave a comment below.

Mythic Scribes

Mythic Scribes is a community of fantasy writers and fans. Visit our forums and introduce yourself to our growing community.

More Posts

1 comments
eds_garage
eds_garage

I think if we mess with the POV's too much, we could confuse our readers into thinking that our writing isn't worth the time to sit down and read it. I have seen many authors mess this up. Thanks for setting some of us clear on it. :)

Blog  |  Forums  |  About  |  Sitemap  |  Privacy Policy