• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

How many words should a fantasy book have?

Iamfenian

Closed Account
I searched for this thread on Mystic Scribes but it could of been another writing forum. Just wondering what the average word count is for a fantasy novel. Thanks!:eek:

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
The average range probably lies around 90-120K.

The fantasy genre, due to world building aspects is usually granted a bit more space and still considered acceptable.

Chilari

Staff
It should have as many words as it takes to tell the story. With ebooks and self-publishing there's no reason a good enough story of any number of words wouldn't sell.

In traditional publishing and when dead tree books are concerned, printing costs play a part, and as such most novels tend to be 70k to 120k words, with fantasy generally being within the top to thirds of that.

Having decided self-publishing is the way to go, I've decided to write books without consideration to length, and only actually take length into account when deciding how much to charge.

Sheriff Woody

Troubadour
How long is a piece of string? As long as it needs to be.

A fantasy novel should have as many words as it takes to tell the story, and every story is different.

Iamfenian

Closed Account
In traditional publishing and when dead tree books are concerned, printing costs play a part, and as such most novels tend to be 70k to 120k words, with fantasy generally being within the top to thirds of that.
i just surpassed the 10,000 mark and my novel is by no means close to the final chaper but 120k words! That sounds daunting!:confused:

Filk

Troubadour
I was just looking into this last night and found a wide range of answers. The minimum would be 40k - that is where a novella crosses the line into a novel, at least according to the minimal research I did. I think a couple of Robert Jordan's books topped 200k. I have 35k on the piece I'm working on and it feels like I recently got past the beginning.

If your piece ends up only being 30k words, you shouldn't fret. You would have a novella instead of a novel.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
The last 4 books in Steven Erikson's original Malazan series were all something like 385K-395K. I don't think he broke 400K, but he came damn close.

I think Neal Stephenson did break the 400K mark with Cryptonomicon.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
I'm usually more afraid of eclipsing the 120k mark. Act 1 of my WIP has about 50k alone.

I wouldn't worry too much about word count on the first run through (and not much at all if you're going to self-publish). Wait until you're done with the first rough draft & then see if you want to add subplots, characters, etc. (or cut those elements).

T.Allen.Smith is right, and just about everyone else is too. Your first draft, write! Don't worry about length. Write the story the way you want it to be. You have to come back and edit it after the first draft regardless, and some of what you've written inevitably winds up on the cutting room floor, per se. That will shorten it.

Then the second time you go through, you may cut a little more, or even change something in the plot that alters the word count. It happens.

If you self-publish, word count doesn't matter nearly as much as quality of writing. That said, if you do go the traditional publishing route, through a company like Tor or whatnot, many of them will have word counts listed for what they're looking for. Chilari's 70k to 120k is a really good estimate, because the traditional publishers tend to look for shorter works by first-time authors. The big ones you see aren't supposed to be the rule for a first publication (ymmv).

Definitely write the story that needs telling, however, and then edit. Even if your "finished" (is it ever truly finished for us?) manuscript is 130K, that's what it's meant to be. It's all about the story in the end.

Philip Overby

Staff
Article Team
It's true that length isn't a concern...usually. Some specific publishers ask for novels only in a certain length range. I read recently one publisher said, "Don't send us anything unless it's in the 90,000-130,000 range." They know their readership, so they can set those guidelines. Just be aware of markets you want to send to while you're writing. If there is a publisher you're dead set on sending it to, check their guidelines and see what they say. If you're self-publishing, then you don't have to worry about it.

Edit: Oh, sorry celebathien basically said the same thing. ;)

I'll add this: fantasy novels are typically on the longish side. That doesn't mean they all are, but fantasy readers tend to like a lot of longer books. Some may even want a series out of you. It's all really up to the publisher.

Last edited:

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
A lot of posters have given the advice that, "If you're self publishing, you don't have to worry about it."

I'm not sure that's completely true. My reasoning:

1. Editing will be your major expense, and one that you absolutely should not skip. Editors charge by the word.
2. It's important to produce a POD version of your book to go with the ecopy since there is still a large portion of the market who only read paper. Length will impact your pricing for the hardcopies and, thus, your sales.

teacup

Auror
I'd say to just keep writing and enjoy yourself, if you finish and it's too short go back and add things in.
I'm on 128,000 right now and I'm about a chapter from the end on my first write up, it just kind of came together for me.

Aspasia

Sage
It depends a long on what you're writing. If it's an epic fantasy, it's really hard to do it completely (in my experience as a reader) around the lower-bound of a novel, YA is hard to sell in the upper-bound. A lot of authors have their first novel the shortest -- Gardens of the Moon is pretty short compared to the rest of the Malazan books, for example. I think publishers are more cautious with the debut book's length than those that come after (if a series). While personally I love 800+ page monsters, I know there are probably a lot of people who prefer to try a new author with less of an investment of time :) . If the story can be told completely in 90K words, 120K, 50K, whatever ... that is the correct length of the novel. The publisher may have their own opinion, though :D .

Devora

Sage
i just surpassed the 10,000 mark and my novel is by no means close to the final chaper but 120k words! That sounds daunting!:confused:

1. Don't think like that otherwise you'll never finish.

2. Don't even think about the total word count as you are writing. Think about that only when you begin editing the finished draft.

If you want to give yourself a productive schedule: Set a goal of a certain amount of words and tell yourself that that's how many words you'll write (keep track of the number of words, too). (Example: "I'm gonna write 2,000 words today.")

It's very good if you happen to go over your set daily goal; that just means you're having a really productive writing session.

WyrdMystic

Inkling
I'll go with a slightly different and cop out, but still true, answer - a story needs as many words as it needs, no more and no less.

Actually, I tend to put down 10.000 words per chapter when I really get going, so 120K sounds about right for me. That's twelve chapters, which is just about enough to tell a good story.

It really depends on how dense your writing style is. I probably use more words than I should, but that's what editing is for.

DMHamilton

Dreamer
I'm definitely in the 'however many it takes' camp. I don't think it's a good idea to write with a word count in mind; just write and see where it takes you!

I'm working with 150K as an upper limit, because it's harder to place a real doorstopper if you're a first time author. The 60-80K range is good for Romance, but Fantasy tends to be longer, so I go for 100K-150K for now, and will only go longer (if at all) when I'm established.

The Unseemly

Troubadour
The amount of words a fantasy story should have? You limit yourself on this? I find that priority #1 is the content, and structure, and characters, and all that ladida, but never limit yourself on the word count. A story should never focus on reaching a particular word/page count - it should focus on the story and the maintaining the wholeness and excitement of it.