• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Travelling around your world...

The High Road is contemporary fantasy, so they've got cars.

At least by day. By night, they can slip out to use magic to leap up and catch the wind. The city's air current patterns are becoming a major factor in the battle ahead.

Graylorne

Archmage
Teleportals and airships (carried by air elementals) for officials, horses with/without carts, ships, and mostly by foot.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I've just decided to ditch the horses and go by camel in one story... they seem to have far more [ahem...] character...

Lock

Dreamer
In a town suspended in gigantic trees I have people falling/jumping from tree to tree as a popular form of transportation (unidirectional: i.e., down). The town also has various types of bridges and carts hanging on vines strung through the forest that are useful for long expeditions and hunting trips since the ground is thoroughly inhabited by roving monsters and crevasses.

Ophiucha

Auror
My setting has a somewhat radical divide between the rich and the poor, and a somewhat DIY-centric industrial complex, so there isn't really a consistent form of transport. I'd say the starlings primarily walk, ride bicycles, or build themselves motorcycles, while the earthlings primarily walk or ride on horseback, though some of them do have cars. Ships exist, but the story I'm writing doesn't happen near where any ships would be present so I haven't bothered developing that beyond 'ships'. I'm not sure on air travel... they might have, like, zeppelins, but I don't think they would have airplanes. No dragons (unfortunately).

ProjectZ

Dreamer
I like to use foot travel to describe the world, a kind of easy going approach to traveling. I will sometimes use horse like creatures and giant boars pulling a carriage. The main characters in my story will have a blessing on them from a pact with a land guardian which will make them be able to travel swiftly and not tire out like normal men. This will help them cover a good distance just on foot.

Generally it's walking, horses and ships for me - nothing that can fly - but there will be portals to another dimension that will allow those that know of them to quickly jump around certain fixed points on the globe. That's a long way off, though.

Apart from the portals, my world is largely realistic and so doesn't have dragons, wyverns, griffins etc to fly people around.

Aspasia

Sage
Mine walk. :D

Sometimes my characters have horses, but I usually make them expensive ... and my characters are usually trying to keep a low profile and buying a horse and riding around on it are usually to conspicuous and may call the Bad Guys down on them. Plus if they need to disappear quietly with little notice, getting rid of the horse is often troublesome.

I do occasionally add in other magical transport -- teleportation stones and the like, but they're usually quite difficult to operate, untrustworthy, or send out a magical signal that can easily be read by another magic-user. I'm not very fond of teleportation -- it can get very deus ex machina for me and I try to avoid it, or add in heavy costs.

I had a flying race once, that was pretty fun. I also had a mirror-dreamworld type of thing, where a particular kind of magic-user could walk into a mirror, entering a dreamworld, and exit the dreamworld in a different part of the real world. It was extremely dangerous, though, and you could very easily get trapped -- or lay down a path if your pursuer was skilled enough to detect it.

My worlds are usually pretty traditional, low-tech fantasy worlds, though, so I can't use mechanical means of transport. There's usually enough strife politically, too, that no two nations/groups would work together to build a transport system through them both.