• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Name Thread

Mindfire

Istar
I have a small name dilemma, but I honestly didn't think it was enough to merit its own thread. I was going to post in an older, already existing thread, but I couldn't find an appropriate one. So, a new thread it is. Perhaps this can become a sort of unofficial "I'm stuck on a name" thread for everyone? That way, I wouldn't feel so self-indulgent. :D

Anyway, my name issue is this: I've mentioned in a couple threads here and there about one of the cultures I'm developing. I'm stuck on what to call them. The culture itself is a combination of Mongol, Japanese Samurai, Maori, and a few other things. They will either be nomadic or semi-nomadic warriors, farmers, and herdsmen. They have an unusual sense of honor and some barbaric tendencies. A few more details about them can be found here.

I've scribbled out some names and I've whittled the list of possibles down to a few options:

• Kudan
  • Nivoans
  • Qadanu
  • Chaogar

I'm not fully satisfied with any of these, so I'm open to new suggestions. If I think of any others I'll add them on in subsequent posts.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Of the four, I like Kudan the best. It's short and straightforward, but still sufficiently "foreign" sounding, at least to my ears.

Telcontar

Staff
I like "Kudan" and "Qadanu" the best. Because of their similarity, maybe they be could two version of the word in seperate languages - one of them being the native language of the people, and the other a predominate lingua franca in the world at large.

As for this being a semi-official "Help me choose a name" thread, that's actually a pretty good idea. I know we've had similar topics before, and it's a common enough problem for fantasy writers. Somewhere back in the list there's a thread where a lot of advice was given on HOW to come up with names for things. We should find that and link it.

Mindfire

Istar
I like "Kudan" and "Qadanu" the best. Because of their similarity, maybe they be could two version of the word in seperate languages - one of them being the native language of the people, and the other a predominate lingua franca in the world at large.

As for this being a semi-official "Help me choose a name" thread, that's actually a pretty good idea. I know we've had similar topics before, and it's a common enough problem for fantasy writers. Somewhere back in the list there's a thread where a lot of advice was given on HOW to come up with names for things. We should find that and link it.

I think I came across that while I was thread-mining. I think it's under World Building a few pages back.

Nihal

Vala
"Kudan" and "Qadanu" are the strongest names here. Kudan wins for being shorter and simpler, Qanadu rings a bit more "noble" to my ears.

Rob P

Minstrel
Of the names listed, Kudan is by far and away the strongest.

The races you mention remind me of Kubla Khan and Xanadu, Ronin, samurai with no master, Shaolin priests.

Such eastern influence should have an 'X' or a 'Z' in there somewhere maybe.

Mindfire

Istar
I dislike using X in my names. I tried some with Z, but they didn't quite stick. Zavang/Zavong was the best I could do. So far I'm with you guys. Kudan seems the most workable.

Mindfire

Istar
There seems to be a consensus. Crowdsourcing FTW. :D I'm withdrawing my query now so I can focus on working out other aspects of this culture. Like I said, the thread is open to anyone who wants help with a name.

Ireth

Myth Weaver
Does it have to be a person or place name, or can it be the title of a novel? I'm sure many of us will need help with that at some point. Though there are other threads specifically for that, I think.

Mindfire

Istar
Okay, now I have the opposite problem. Instead of a thing without a name I have a name without a thing. :D

I've got this cool name: draith, but no idea what it belongs to. Well, not no idea. It's some kind of creature, I know that much. And not a friendly one. But I'm not sure what kind of monster it is exactly. The most appealing idea I've come up with so far is like a sort of giant land octopus with an insectoid shell, a toothy maw instead of beak, the ability to change its color and shape, and maybe the ability to shoot spider-like silk instead of ink. But as cool as that sounds, I can't escape the feeling that a draith is something that can fly. Any suggestions?

Nihal

Vala
Draith sounds so much like "wraith" that the first thing it evokes is a shadow. Probably something that looks like a shadow ghost, but isn't. It's a creature, or a shadow that somehow acquired a physical shape, twisted and clawed, sometimes tall and slender, others bulky, even humanoid. It spreads darkness, tainting, opening the door for more draiths...

Okay, enough deviation. ;x

Ireth

Myth Weaver
It spreads darkness, tainting, opening the door for more draiths...

That's a really interesting thought. Considering that octopi expel ink to confuse their prey (or is that squids?), maybe the draith can do something similar, perhaps with actual darkness. Sounds kinda like Tolkien's monster spider Ungoliant. ^^

Mindfire

Istar
You guys are great! I like that idea. Mini-kraken + Ungoliant. And I'll also add the power to sort of float or glide in a ghostly manner.

Nihal

Vala
Hahaha, awesome. This floating darkness/tentacles reminded of a quite unrelated but crazy and gritty illustration I saw once. I can't link it here, it's a little disturbing (nothing related to japanese tentacles ok?).