• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A sampling of my fantasy art

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
I do computer graphics and animation for my day job. It is pretty dry stuff, but when I have some time on my own where I am not writing, I love do draw and paint fantasy art! These are all labors of love.
sherakk_400.jpg
quick drawing of a dragon from an upcoming book

vorallon_close.jpg
a digitally drawn map (closeup here) for my fantasy trilogy

Voradin4x4.jpg
and here is what happens when I spend WAY too much time on a map...this was for my dungeons and dragons campaign...and I sold the image for way too cheap to a game company that never did anything with it.

greaper4x4.jpg
a creature design for a weekly contest on conceptart.org - I need to write a short story that goes with this!

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
dragonhead4x4.jpg
a doodle on lined notebook paper that I scanned in and did some magic cleanup on and added some quick textures..,this became one of my favorite avatars to use around the webs.

reaching4x4.jpg
I will close for now on a bit of Lovecraftian horror. I actually did a number of Lovecraft images, a Deep One and and many more. I was in a tentacle phase

Subcreator

Minstrel
I love it all. I'm a very visual person, but I've never gotten good at drawing at all, so it's kind of frustrating when I have my own ideas, but fantastic when I see someone else's. I love the centipede creatures at the end of the first book. When I saw that there was more than one, I envisioned that they'd be sentient lifeforms with a culture not unlike meercats.

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
Thanks so much for all your wonderful comments! What a great community this is!

I had a spare hour after work and got bitten by the dragon activist bug.

equaldragons.jpg

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
No shortage of dragon lovers here! I am in good company! Thank you all for your kind words.

I am working on a video trailer for my trilogy. It is going to be a blend of moving stills, animating text, and motion graphics. Here are two stills I have painted so far:

VP01_beach_zps56ce38a7.jpg

I am trying to capture a lot of atmosphere in this image, the scene is a cold dawn.

VP01_orb_zps640d39ac.jpg

A tight shot on the mysterious artifact, a dull silvery sphere which the protagonist carries.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2508

I must echo everyone else in love for the dragon; I love the design itself, slim face with the horns, and how you executed it. But my favourite is the shore with the cliff. I would love to read stories going along with this artwork.

I'm very jealous of your talents! I have no drawing ability, I'm limited to a few utilitarian maps.

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
Thanks! It's practice, lots of practice. The beach scene is drawn from my mind, but the words that describe it are in chapter three.

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
Another graphic that will be part of my Video Trailer for The Final Warden.

It was raining hard today on the way into work. It may have been the rain that inspired me to paint this image of Lorace in a stormtossed sea. This went together surprisingly fast. No references used for the water, though a slew of fine anime films were running through my mind while I just let my hand move. If this is a disturbing image for anyone that's ok. Lorace is sleeping, held safe in the grip of the Lady, the Goddess of Destiny --she protected him while the storm raged over the Vestral Sea.

VP01_water.jpg

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
I am happy with this piece...Lorace dreams of chasing a golden butterfly that bursts into bright gold sparks.

VP01_Dream.jpg

This was an hour start to finish. I was quite surprised it went so fast, mostly due to my getting the hand and arm down "just right" in just a few strokes of color. 75% of that hour was spent drawing the sparks.

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
A big round soft edged brush, tap tap tap. An input device with pressure sensitivity is key. The squiggles are are with a small hard edged brush with transparency set to pressure.. I did a layer of orange then an tighter layer of yellow dots and streaks on top.