• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Creative Test

I don't really have any quick one liners. Mine are generally between two or three characters. My favorite one though is between two friends:

Joel and Thomas were practicing their archery. Thomas pulled back another arrow and said, "You know, Joel, they say that which doesn't kill you ultimately makes you stronger." He released the string and the arrow zipped thru the air and went just left of the center target.
Joel lifted his bow and pulled back another arrow. "That's ridiculous." He fired the arrow. It hit the center target. "If I let you shoot me with an arrow and it makes me lose function in my arm, how exactly does that make me stronger?"
Thomas fired his next arrow and split Joel's. "Because it didn't kill you."
"But I've lost all function in my arm." He fired another arrow and it went right of center.
"Then maybe you shouldn't be letting me shoot you with arrows," he replied splitting Joel's arrow again.

Last edited:

Helbrecht

Minstrel
Here's omething that just cropped up in what I'm writing at the moment.

"A man may only be called wise when surrounded by those who are not."

It's meant to be a proverb of sorts in my scholarly-looking MC's culture. After being addressed by a pair of thugs as a "wise man" based on his appearance and subsequently told to do the "wise thing" and back off before they do him some harm, he goads them into attacking, puts them on the floor and quotes the proverb by way of mockery. :D

I don't think it's terribly clever, and I'm sure I've done better, but that's all I can remember at the moment.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Ok I want to play too.....
Thanks, I loved reading all of these, and guessing the context and characters was half of the fun!

“Insult my dress, my wealth, my manhood all you like; I know exactly who and what I am. But, there will come a time when you too will have to come to terms with who and what you are. Will you be be so content with your own truth?”

I came across another one last night that I liked.

"Because this isn't a romance, Thomas," Morpheus scowled. "You two aren't going to live happily ever after and ride off into the damn sunset. This is the next day, when the sun came up."

hope you like it:eek:
" life is like a building ,a building is impossible to be built with out blocks and life is impossible to be built with out talented people" :)

Theankh

Scribe
This is a great idea for a thread :) my contribution:

‘What were you arrested for?’ He asked. Adrianna glanced at him.
‘Which time?’
‘Sorry?’
‘Which time? I’ve been arrested nineteen times. Twenty-four if you count a citizen’s arrest. Which I don’t. Any fool can grab you by the arm and tell you to come quietly.’ She said. Will gaped at her, almost dropping the reins.

Another contribution:

"You know she's the reason why the Heaven Gates closed, right?" Michael asked.
"Really? How did she manage that?"
"I think she said it had something to do with enchanted fruit and gullible mortals."

Oh and something I came up that has nothing to do with anything I'm working on.
"I may not have a six-pack, but my one-pack will do me fine."
I replied, "There's no such thing as a one-pack; they call that a flotation device."

Last edited:
“I’ve seen bravery and cowardice. I’ve come to know who a coward is. It is someone who runs away from something that he can overcome."

From my first book.

Torby

Dreamer
I like the norwegian phrase that translates "the wise man thinks what he can do today and puts off untyill tomorrow so he can have a lazy day."

"I am not an alcoholic I am just Irish"

“Death brings us closer to our memories, Funerals pollute those memories, which is why we are cremating him then shaking his ashes out of a giant salt shaker like urn anything else would be disrespectful to his memory.”

“Hey look that urn floats we can soak it in lighter fluid then shoot arrows at it”

“Do not regret anything learn from it, if you regret it, it will govern your life, if you learn from it you gain wisdom, If messed up enough to have lots of wisdom, but I have the other issue repeating my mistakes before I learn from them.”

Last edited:
I'm not profound or witty. This is the best I could find for now. :)

“Roll up my jeans,” she said. “I don’t want the hems getting all ratty just because I’m generous and you’re short.”

Kassidus laughed, fiddling with his necklace.
"Tell me something Michael," He hissed happily "If everybody loves you so much, then why are you alone? In your greatest time of need, why arent the people who love you here, helping you? Because they don't love you. This world has no love. Everybody hates everybody else. Have you seen it in their eyes? That look of rage, that always appears on anyone's face when you stand in their way? The same look is used for hatred. When you stand in another person's way, they don't care if they're your own flesh and blood, they will fill with hatred, and strike you down. Well, not necessarily. Everybody wants to be on top of the world. Over everybody else. And they would bring you down in a heartbeat. They don't love you. They hate you. They want to be the greatest, and will take you down, regardless of who you are, and what you mean to-" Blood spurted forth from Kassidus' mouth. He peered down at his stomach as Michael pulled his blade from within it.
"Get out of my way." Michael grabbed the wicked king's dagger. He plunged it through Kassidus' forehead. He pulled the necklace from 'round his lifeless throat, and placed it on his own. He calmly darted to the exit. He pushed open the door, turning back with a smile.
"Monologues will always kill you. Especially when they suck."

Johnny Cosmo

Inkling
@Xanados: I think you might be right, ha! I'm not sure how creative writing a few lines of witty dialogue is, when you have an unlimited amount of time to perfect it. Still, I guess that's the beauty of writing!