• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Are Elves, Orcs, Etc. Dead?

Glittering, nearly-invincible creatures that ride by and, on the slightest whim, develop either a grudge or a fascination with a peasant and then drag him into who-knows-what? Even the concept of spending a night in Elfdom that's a century in real-time sounds a lot like how a villager-turned-palace-servant might feel on coming home and realizing how differently her old friends looked at the world, and now at her.

Just one more thing in the elven mix.

Interesting comparison.

Aren't fairies supposed to do kind of the same thing -- the dangers of getting caught in a fairy ring and not coming back out until after a century or two of wanton revelry?

I don't think Elves or Orcs are dead, but human cultures have a rich collection of magical creatures from which to draw for use in fantasy. Elves have yet to appear in my own stories, but I have something called Guendes, based on the Central American duende, which is something of a cross between a fairy and a gnome.

I've since learned that the Spaniards took their duendes all over the world, and they have evolved to be very different creatures depending on whether you meet them in Spain, Central America, South America, the Philippines, or Guam. . .

The most original treatment I've seen of Elves in recent fantasy fiction is Melissa Mickelsen's NIGHTINGALE. Here we have an elf woman who is also an assassin, and a very interesting world of constant warfare and conflict between human and elfin cultures. I really liked it, and did not have the sense at all that I was reading a recycled Tolkien trope. So yes, I think there is still much to be done with elves, orcs, and the like. All it takes is a fresh perspective and a little imagination.

Also -- just for the record -- not all girls like glitter.

Ayaka Di'rutia

Troubadour
The only "traditional" race I have in my current fantasy are elves, and they're not much like Tolkien's elves. Firstly they're not immortal, although they can live around half a millenium. They're not characterized as being a goodly race or a bad race; the race as a whole contains both kinds of people. I've also created a branch in this elven race that look Native American, unlike many of their white-skinned kin. They're strong and have pointed ears and thus a keen sense of hearing, and also possess a graceful stride and a good balance sense.

Other than that, I haven't used dwarves or orcs. I believe they're OVER-used in books and other fantasy media like video games.

Nihal

Vala
I don't think dwarves and orcs were more overused than elves—so, no reason to avoid them more than elves; sometimes you even get to see elves but not dwarves and orcs!

I think, however, that they were badly used. Orcs often fill the role of the mindless, disposable, evil army. Dwarves are those funny, grumpy short fellows who are amazing crafters and sometimes are terribly strong. It's a "good" race but few authors, or games, love them, just use them to fill a vacant role. You don't see orcs and dwarves being reworked in something new as often you see elves.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, I think elves are used more than dwarves and orcs as well. However, I don't really believe in "overuse." They're used well, or used badly, as Nihal says. A good writer can make effective use of any of these, and a bad one will muck up a completely original race.

Yeah, I think elves are used more than dwarves and orcs as well. However, I don't really believe in "overuse." They're used well, or used badly, as Nihal says. A good writer can make effective use of any of these, and a bad one will muck up a completely original race.

Wait.... So you're saying making up original races is a bad thing? I'm confused...

I had something a little like elves initially in my story, but gradually as the story went on, I scrapped them, and made something entirely new in their place. I had also committed a gaffe that I suppose a lot of people would admonish- calling them 'Ken', that is, calling them by a different name. Glad I got rid of them now.

I genuinely hate all stories which have orcs in them. They are, to me, the most Tolkienesque of the lot, and I am liable to put such a book down.

Before, I liked books that had these kind of creatures in them, but now, they just annoy me. It's either something new or just human for me now. But still, nothing can kill dragons.

Execution does matter, but for people who don't care for the book first-off, I don't think it would be of consequence. So, my decision, I have to say, these classic races are dying, slowly maybe, very slowly, but they're dying nonetheless.

This is my opinion, and... you know the rest.

eodauthor

Dreamer
Look, there are always arguments for or against traditional or mythic characters in whatever genre you happen to be writing about. I mean, how many detective stories are there where the protagonist is a knock-off of Sam Spade or Mike Hammer? The same can be said about fantasy characters: elves, trolls, dwarves, etc. Yes, I agree that Tolkien set the bar rather high, but consider what Terry Brooks has done for the genre since 1977 with his Shannara series. He took the Tolkien-esque primer and gave it a fresh look.

There is nothing wrong with rebooting the same races as others have done for years; the key to a successful story is not so much whether you utilize a familiar antagonist or protagonist, it is in the content of the story: is the plot worthy? Are the characters believable? Is there sufficient conflict to keep the reader's attention for 500 pages? Can the author weave the story to a credible and satisfactory ending?

So, will there always be elves and orcs? I hope so. I wouldn't want to imagine a world where they did not exist.

Jess A

Archmage
So, will there always be elves and orcs? I hope so. I wouldn't want to imagine a world where they did not exist.

Reports of their death are greatly exaggerated. I wouldn't worry.

This would make a great spoof fantasy. The last of the elves and orcs are dying out in their own magical worlds because nobody is writing about them. A heroic writer, an elf and an orc must work together to save the dying races.

This would make a great spoof fantasy. The last of the elves and orcs are dying out in their own magical worlds because nobody is writing about them. A heroic writer, an elf and an orc must work together to save the dying races.

Are you sure the orcs would want to live, to keep being slaughtered over and over? (I'm thinking of The Order of the Stick, in which the goblins are willing to threaten the destruction of the universe to remove themselves from their position as walking targets for would-be heroes.)

Jess A

Archmage
Are you sure the orcs would want to live, to keep being slaughtered over and over? (I'm thinking of The Order of the Stick, in which the goblins are willing to threaten the destruction of the universe to remove themselves from their position as walking targets for would-be heroes.)

Hehe :p But maybe the orcs reform themselves? And become the heroes?