• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

A Visit to your Fantasy World

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Pat Harris: That sounds fun, and to be honest, I really like the idea of making a complete Aylar costume and wear it for next Halloween =)

However, wearing a fake tail would be of little help. They would be intrigued by my strange clothing, also wondering why I keep hiding almost every part of my body... It would be just a matter of time for someone to discover me, and then I would be dead.

Still, it would be better to get caught by the regular Aylars and not by the Mages... Please, not the Mages!!

ThomasCardin

Minstrel
Excellent question. I have to hope that my entry into the world of Vorallon would be at the right time and place, otherwise I would be consumed by the blight of undeath and transformed--not a good way to go.

If I could go to a time and place of my choosing things become much better. The difficulty is what to do with the things I know. There are definitely people I would need to talk to, even if it was just to blow their minds when they saw me for who I was.

I would want to find out if I had a gift, a unique magical power. Can I weild sorcery? Am I one of those who can commune with the gods? There's no doubt that my knowledge of the world would be seen by many as a gift but there are may places I have not defined, like hollywood facades--I might be scared to look behind some of those.

Since I know my world at different epochs of time, my visit would be a lot like that of a time traveler into the past--what would I be changing? Probably not much since I already have a character whose gift is seeing the future. It is to him I must go to first, if just to find out what the consequences are of the literal "creator" of their multiverse showing up on their doorstep.

Given that there are no troubles with me being there, I would love to just travel with the gang, sketchbook in hand. I would be in my element.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Ok...Sheilawisz...

You brought this up; therefor you are obligated to regale us with the full 5000 word short story of how were transported to the world of the Aylar and your subsequent encounter with the mages...

Maybe you wish to make this a challenge, in the appropriate subforum?

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@ThinkerX: You know what, that is a really good idea!!

I want to call the Challenge A Visit to your Fantasy World: The Stories Challenge so everyone can write and post little stories about what would happen in a travel to our own worlds...

Just give me some time to think out the first story, and then it shall be started =)

J. S. Elliot

Inkling
That would actually be a pretty good idea. Would it have to be first- or third-person?

(And I really do need to come back here and list off some of my worlds. I certainly have enough of them. ^_^")

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Selene: I want to write my Travel story in third person, but those who prefer the First person style can write their stories that way, no problem =)

We can keep this thread to imagine and describe what would we do in a visit to our worlds, while the other thread in the Challenges Forum (coming soon!) will be for actually writing stories about the travel.

Now I have to decide which of my Aylar worlds I will visit in the Challenge...

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
@Lunaairis:

I am really going to start the Challenge, opening the thread with my own little story about a travel to one of my Aylar worlds.

Sorry everyone, but I have not started it yet because I have been really busy writing the final chapters of my Queen Eternal novel, which is the final installment of my Joan of England series...

When I have finished it, I will rest a few days and then I will start the Challenge =)

I promise!!

C

Chessie

Imagine that you could get magically transported to the Fantasy world that you created, the place where your characters live and where all of your cultures, magic and creatures are real...

What would you do in a visit to your own Fantasy world?

What would you be afraid of, and why? Would you try to hide to stay safe, or maybe you could use your unique knowledge about the world to gain influences or power??

Do you think the people would be friendly to you, or maybe they would be a danger?

Thinking about this could help us to understand our own worlds more deeply, so maybe this would be an interesting exercise to practice some World Building =)

Oh man, this is great! I'm going to marinate on a response for this. Interesting questions!

HabeasCorpus

Minstrel
Thanks for the thread rez - looking forward to the challenge. To answer the question, I'd probably go find my MC and secondary characters and give then enormous hugs and tell them how much I love them.

Addison

Auror
Heck I'd go find the librarian, hop on his back and fly around the world! He's a dragon, that's why it's cool. :D

AnnaBlixt

Minstrel
I would not want to set a foot in that place at the time of my stories... hehe... I would soooo end up dead, poisoned, robbed and/or kidnapped.

saraliz78

Acolyte
I like this question! In my world, specifically in the Greater Island Area, I would be most afraid of running afoul of the Governor's soldiers and being tossed in prison, where I would then be possible fair game for Dr. Pelier's creepy science experiments. The story takes place mainly on a group of islands. The Governor took over in a coup after assassinating his predecessor (and former future father-in-law.) The Governor is the main antagonist, but his henchman Dr. Pelier is actually much more menacing. He does a lot of things behind the Governor's back. Yeah, I'd definitely fear the mad science the most. :)