• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

So...it might not be Fantasy

Impatience

Dreamer
I joined this site for two reasons:

1. I love fantasy, which is most of what I've read my entire life
  2. There seems to be a great community here, as well as a wealth of information

But, since it is a very fantasy orientated site, are people open to proofing and/or helping with material that isn't Fantasy? I eventually want to work on a fantasy book, but for now I'm starting with a future sci-fi story. Can I still submit that to the forums for people to look over, or is that considered taboo here?

I'm new here, so I'd rather ask permission than upset anyone over a break in proper etiquette.

Impatience

TheokinsJ

Troubadour
Can't say I speak for the admins, but I've seen posts on science-fiction on this site before, I don't see anything wrong with it.

Saigonnus

Auror
I myself haven't ever had issues posting things about science fiction; which by all intents and purposes is a form of fantasy fiction; set in the future; with technology instead of magic. The basic elements are the same; the readers need to suspend their disbelief a bit to fully enjoy the story. Also, sometimes it is still considered fantasy even set in the future; Star Wars being the prime example, where much of the technology is hand-waved or simply not even discussed at all.

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
Also not an admin, but there seems to be a fairly permissive attitude toward the occassional inclusion of material other than fantasy.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I don't think anyone minds the occasional sci-fi post. There's enough overlap that it shouldn't be an issue unless we started to see a big number of super-scifi-specific threads.

Speaking for myself, I do feel that not having scifi, being able to focus on fantasy, is a big draw for me and I assume for at least some others because it helps me focus on ideas that are relevant to what I'm most interested in. But there's plenty of people interested in scifi here, so as long as you have a genuine interest in fantasy and participating in the broader community, I'm sure it's fine.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, I agree with Devor as well. I enjoy science fiction, and don't mind entertaining the occasional science fiction idea here. There is a lot of blurring between the genres. I think it is important for the site to present a "fantasy" focus, but I have never seen anyone balk at the occasional science fiction question or offering.

Let's face it, most of the time Science Fiction is just Fantasy set in the future. Lots of science fiction stories have magic - and if they don't, they usually have some kind of technology that is basically magic in a scientific jacket. If Fantasy set in Ancient Greece, the Renaissance or modern times is acceptable, then why wouldn't Sci-fi be?

Star Wars.

I don't really see the point you're trying to make. I'm not really that big on Star Wars though, so I might be overlooking something.

Fantasy doesn't mean there has to be magic or anything. It doesn't even require a different world. In its broadest sense, Fantasy is about events that have not (yet) or cannot happen in this world.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I don't even view the likes of Star Wars as SF, personally. In my view, you have to minimally conform with the known scientific laws of the universe OR, when departing from them have something that is consistent with what we know or bolstered by a reasonable explanation as to why it is not consistent.

Sparkie

Auror
I don't even view the likes of Star Wars as SF, personally. In my view, you have to minimally conform with the known scientific laws of the universe OR, when departing from them have something that is consistent with what we know or bolstered by a reasonable explanation as to why it is not consistent.

Right. Like you mentioned in an earlier post, Steerpike, the lines between SF and Fantasy are blurred somewhat. It seems to me that what some people refer to as 'Science Fiction' is actually Fantasy that draws inspiration from Sci-Fi elements. Star Wars is a good example of this, as are an array of other movies, books (for some reason Anne McCaffrey's stuff comes to mind for me, even though I know it's a terrible example), and video games (I'm looking at you, Final Fantasy).

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Impatience, and Welcome to Mythic Scribes!!

When I first came to this wonderful community, I was also not sure whether I belonged here or not. I would read so many threads about creating realistic worlds, believable Magic systems and so on, and being a writer of dream-like and unrealistic Fantasy, I was feeling that maybe I would be out of place here.

However, soon I learned that a part of the beauty of Fantasy is that it can be so varied, featuring all kinds of elements and styles...

Sci-fi elements can be part of Fantasy too, and personally I have a Fantasy space story that I want to write down someday for a possible TV series =)

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver

I agree completely. In fact, the template for Star Wars is my favorite kind of fantasy story.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
That's the beautiful thing about Speculative Fiction - it's a big, warm, fuzzy cloak that wraps around a lovely large range of deeply interconnected sub-genres. Personally, I write Urban Fantasy and space opera (the basically soft-science fiction is best represented by Star Wars), and only have one High Fantasy storyline at all - and the funny thing is that my space opera universe actually ties all these series, including the HF one, together!

So, welcome to the family!

Impatience

Dreamer
Thank you everyone. You have all reassured me that I can get the help I need here regardless of the direction I want to take. It is not my intention to take over any part of the threads with purely sci-fi directed conversations, but good to know that I can broach the subject here and there for writing advice. As a newbie writer, I really appreciate the helpful attitude that I have experienced from everyone over the past few days.

Aurelian

Scribe
(Not an Admin)

I think Abbas hit the nail on the head. I have quite a few sci-fi projects I work on occasionally, a common theme ion all of them is they all have some form of magic. In my mind you just have to be able to supply enough fantasy to justify putting it on the sight.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I think Abbas hit the nail on the head. I have quite a few sci-fi projects I work on occasionally, a common theme ion all of them is they all have some form of magic. In my mind you just have to be able to supply plausible

How do you figure it is science fiction and not fantasy if they have "magic?"