• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

So...it might not be Fantasy

Aurelian

Scribe
Containing Material that "can" be consistent with fantasy and or Science Fiction. We all know the typical aspects of sci-fi for example being set in the future with advanced tech. On the flip side Fantasy is often middle ages themed and a strong magical element.

I'm just talking about different elements that can make up the two genres.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Yeah, I get what you're saying. I suppose my view would be that if it has "magic" then it is Fantasy, whether it has technological or futuristic elements or not.

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
Yeah, I enjoy sci fi when we see warring factions, exploration, and some of the other elements I enjoy about fantasy. But for all the overlap, I think there's definitely an outside region on the ven diagram between sci fi and fantasy. Science and Fantasy lend themselves better to certain types of stories. But for me, I have trouble suspending disbelief when I see a lot of the "hard" science presented in Sci Fi. With a lot of settings, I also feel that there's just too much that's too close to "real" for me to let go and enjoy it. And I've yet to see a sci-fi story that actually feels like the future as I would expect to see it, so I struggle a lot when they try to take that aspect of the genre too seriously.

So it comes to a mixed bundle with me - I can enjoy Star Wars, for instance, but every other episode of Star Trek will make me roll my eyes.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. I suppose my view would be that if it has "magic" then it is Fantasy, whether it has technological or futuristic elements or not.

Out of curiosity, how do you view telepathy in otherwise hard sci-fi? Usually they at least try and make it sound real.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Out of curiosity, how do you view telepathy in otherwise hard sci-fi? Usually they at least try and make it sound real.

I don't have a problem with it when it is provided with a plausible basis, even if it is something that is well beyond us now. With hard scifi, the author has usually done her homework and knows enough about physiology and other science to put forth something that is reasonable. In fantasy, you can just hand-wave it as magic. I'm fine with either one, but if I want to read scifi, then I'm looking for the former ;)