• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do you have arguments with your characters?

Fyri

Inkling
I know this happens to other writers as well, but sometimes it is just so annoying! I try to create a gentle sweet girl and she becomes a nagging mother-like girl. I try telling her to be less nagging and more innocent but she just won't listen! And then there're the one's that may have the exact personality I want, but suddenly they won't do what I need them to in order to progress the storyline. Is it creepy how real made-up characters can become or what? I just hope the character that is currently being tortured severely doesn't try to kill me in my sleep tonight! Do any of you experience these things?

PaulineMRoss

Inkling
Author Andrea K Höst had this to say about her book 'The Champion of the Rose':

"The novel also features some of the least obedient characters I've ever suffered. An intended major marriage does not happen - the participants flatly refused, each for their own reasons. The intended villain gave me a Look and told me not to question their loyalty. But on the plus side a secondary character cheerfully turned around and came to life - and threatened to take over the pages."

So no, you're not alone :)

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I guess if I "had things I need them to do," I'd have arguments with my characters. The way it usually works for me is that I sit down and listen to their voice, watch their actions. As a creator of stories my job is more to lure my characters into bad situations than to tell them to go.

I guess having game mastered story-telling games for many years with a ton of very character-oriented players helps a lot here. One of the key strategies for a satisfying game session has always been: "Watch where the players take their characters, what they are interested in. Build on that, make it the center of your plot."

I think I treat my story characters in a very similar way...

I've never actually had an argument with any of my characters, but if you craft them well they do write themselves to an extent after a while. I think of it as them "growing wings", you provide them with a situation in the story and you don't even need to wonder how they react, because they are themselves (maybe that came across convoluted?).

Like I always say, half my best friends are imaginary.

Haha, good point. Come to think of it my first protagonist could technically be one of my best friends, despite the fact we've never met face-to-face.

Fyri

Inkling
Like I always say, half my best friends are imaginary.

That is sadly true. I've come to find that I can only truely trust the characters I create. I once even used them to give me advice in hard times. Sometimes they are the cause of my nightmares! Imagination is a beautiful yet terrifying phenomenon... :)

Guru Coyote

Archmage
That is sadly true. I've come to find that I can only truely trust the characters I create. I once even used them to give me advice in hard times. Sometimes they are the cause of my nightmares! Imagination is a beautiful yet terrifying phenomenon... :)

My brother once said to me: "Your mind is a haunted place."
I took that as a compliment, although it wasn't really meant that way.

Fyri

Inkling
Sometimes it's the insane people that come up with the best stories. Or the weirdest. *looks at one of my thrown away story ideas and shrugs*

Rinzei

Troubadour
I've had a character that went south against my wishes. He was so bright and bubbly at the start - and then I somehow realised through writing that he was a jealousy-prone narcissist! How did that happen? Conversely, his brother went up in my books - I thought he was a broody, angry git and he turned out to be quite caring and fun. I don't understand how these things just happen!

Ireth

Myth Weaver
In one of my novels, I tried to set up the MC's best friend with the MC's younger sister, only for the friend to inform me in no uncertain terms, in the middle of the climax of the book, that he was bisexual, not straight, and in love with the MC. I was like, "Really, guy? You could have picked a more opportune time to let me know!" Like any of the times he was peacefully interacting with the MC or his sister, for example. Yeesh.

Addison

Auror
With my characters it's like talking to a teenager, and I'm the parent. If you have teenage kids or siblings then you know what it's like. They either don't listen, don't care or blow you off so it's really you ranting like crazy. A one-sided argument. Which doesn't help to resolve issues.

ecdavis

Troubadour
I deal with headstrong characters all the time, many times they end up acting in a way that I hadn't intended. It is odd how they seem to sometimes have a mind of their own. I've had two that were supposed to be adversaries that ended up falling in love and two bad guys that weren't really so bad after all.
I had one story where I was going to have this Prince with an aloof attitude toward everyone, that hated my main character's race of people, but after the MC rescued him, the Prince was supposed to chance his mind and slowly an interest in my MC was supposed to develop, over the course of a handful of related short stories. I had the story-line all plotted out, but the Prince was just too big of a jerk, and nearly got the MC killed then ended up getting himself killed by 'friendly fire'. It threw a major wrench into my story, but actually, I began to like it a lot better and just rolled with it. But the series of short stories turned into one short story, though I plan to take the MC in a new direction when I finally get back to writing about her.

Fyri

Inkling
@ecdavis
That reminds me of one of my characters! I knew I wanted my MC to have a love interest and I was about to introduce a prince of another planet. I had to decide between him and the boy that was /supposed/ to protect the MC. Even if I ended up going with the other boy, the prince was going to still be this really kind guy that liked the MC and was gentle with her. I couldn't decide for a while so I kept writing with the possibility of either. Then the prince became this sarcastic jerk that liked the MC. Their love didn't work out, but this new sarcastic character became one of the main side characters that is a lot of fun to write.

Guru Coyote

Archmage
I might need to take back what I said earlier... If I had *insisted* on my current story going the way I had it planned... I think I'd have gotten on the wrong side of both of the main characters.
Maybe I just don't have arguments with my characters because I let them have their will.

Fyri

Inkling
True, I let them have their way. But sometimes, when I don't like their way, I pull them aside(or infront of all the rest of the characters) and give them the what for. My charcters are my only true friends and no matter what I say, they'll always love me. Heh heh.

Addison

Auror
Sometimes my characters bring on the arguements. And they're all from one WIP.

You ever had a friend, sibling, family member or anyone who always calls or whines if you pay attention to someone else? That's how this story is acting. I give myself a break, to stay fresh, and work on another story. Then out of nowhere something about the original will pop into my head and won't leave me alone until I confront it. When I do I do it angrily. That way I can go back to the other WIP in peace.

Fyri

Inkling
I can only work on one thing at a time. All my other WIPs have died. They sit there decaying in some dusty shelf waiting for the day I finish my first series.