• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Can't seem to have direction, a bit frustrated.

C

Chessie

I want to write a story about a healer/herbalist that lives in a setting combined from medieval Russia and 1600s New France. The historical gap between these time periods is large, but I've come up with some interesting ideas from mixing the two.

However, I can't seem to move forward to any sort of starting point. For months, I've been slowly developing pieces of the characters and setting but haven't gotten very far. Problem and plot evade me. I've reached a point of frustration with this project since I don't have anything solid to go on. All I have are pieces of the elements going into this tale.

I'm posting this in hopes anyone has suggestions on how you have moved forward to develop story elements or helpful reading, etc. I can give details of what I have down now if anyone asks, since I didn't want to make this post too long. :)

Normally I try to make my problem be the opposite of what m character is. So if my MC was a healer the person would have to fight death, plague, or warmongering. I would also put your MC in situations that would force it to question their deepest held beliefs. By creating a problem you can then start to craft a plot.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
To me it starts with one question that forks into two. The question is simply what does your character want? It splits into the two questions What does your character want physically? and What does your character want emotionally? Once you know these two things about your character you can put plot obstacles in their way to prevent them from getting what they want.

For example. Starwars. Luke Skywalker.

Physical want: Rescue Princess/ Defeat the Empire.
Emotional want: To become a Jedi like his father.

If you think about Starwars, notice that most things Luke encounters is in direct path of one or both of these things. What makes a great story IMHO is knowing these two wants and finding great obstacles to put in your protagonist's way.

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
What do you know about your characters? I don't think we can be of much help until we know a bit more, and I always start with character because setting doesn't have conflict.

C

Chessie

Cool. Well, I don't yet have a vision per say although I thought that by now I would. MC is a healer/herbalist bitter at life. She's experienced the invasion of her land and people as a child. She's in the process of honing her skills (details still marinating on deepening this). I've thought about having her become involved in healing someone of importance but that sounded too blah. Nothing even sounds good enough to post on here tbh.

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Cool. Well, I don't yet have a vision per say although I thought that by now I would. MC is a healer/herbalist bitter at life. She's experienced the invasion of her land and people as a child. She's in the process of honing her skills (details still marinating on deepening this). I've thought about having her become involved in healing someone of importance but that sounded too blah. Nothing even sounds good enough to post on here tbh.

Why does she want to become a herbalist? How did she get into this field? How does she feel about the invasion? Does she want to do something about the invaders?

Those are questions IMHO that if answered will help you to find the plot.

A few plots off the top of my head.

She wants to become a herbalist because herbalists know about poison, and it's a way for her to get close to the king so she can poison him and start a rebellion to rid her country of these invaders.

She wants to become a herbalist to help her war ravaged country that has to deal with constant plague. But for some reason the government seems to be shutting down herbalist schools despite their need. She discovers the government is doing this because it's away to wipe out the population of the country without damaging the infrastructure. Once everyone is wiped out they can clean up the mess and move in their own people without fear of rebellion.

C

Chessie

Penpilot, those are really good! They're exciting, thank you. She's an herbalist by family trade. Magic will play into the tonics she makes, etc but I haven't gotten that far. She's learned the skills from her father and has a love for what she does. I was thinking that maybe she has to make a poison that helps fight an illness, etc. I considered having this illness strike the child of someone important and she is forced to do the task...but then there's the issue of her people enslaved which she doesnt like.

I have this idea of her skills being pushed to the limit and it somehow jeopardizing her family. Part of me wants to have her live with pops and sister while the other irrational me is saying: what if she's got a husband, children, more to lose if she fails? Dunno yet.

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
Penpilot, those are really good! They're exciting, thank you. She's an herbalist by family trade. Magic will play into the tonics she makes, etc but I haven't gotten that far. She's learned the skills from her father and has a love for what she does. I was thinking that maybe she has to make a poison that helps fight an illness, etc. I considered having this illness strike the child of someone important and she is forced to do the task...but then there's the issue of her people enslaved which she doesnt like.

I have this idea of her skills being pushed to the limit and it somehow jeopardizing her family. Part of me wants to have her live with pops and sister while the other irrational me is saying: what if she's got a husband, children, more to lose if she fails? Dunno yet

You have a muddle.

Simplify.

Your herbalist is out gathering herbs. Soldiers of the occupying army approach. One of them, a high ranking officer/nobleman is wounded. Take it from there.

C

Chessie

Your herbalist is out gathering herbs. Soldiers of the occupying army approach. One of them, a high ranking officer/nobleman is wounded. Take it from there.

Brilliant. I'm off to play with this right now. Thank you!

AnnaBlixt

Minstrel
You can always "start in the middle". I sometimes have trouble starting, but you know - if you just start writing some scenes, you'll probably figure out later how the characters got there. It might help you getting started and producing some text.

I often have the same problem as you Chesterama, I create the setting, cities, factions and characters, even plot/problem. But then I struggle in moving away from the initial plot.
Weirdly enough, all characters have a nice sounding background. With conflicts and everything a story need.

So, what I'm saying here is what AnnaBlixt just pointed out, sometimes it is easier to write it from the middle or even the end. My necromancer is a former slave and had lost the left eye. He is also kind of banned from his homeland. All of it explained in the background story.

C

Chessie

I have an idea to write a scene from the moment her land is invaded. I have some things to play with now which is great. My problem is I clutter too much into my head and notes, then can't get clarity on where to start. Its one of my weak points. Once I get going though, its much easier. :)