• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Name for power

TopHat

Minstrel
Hi guys!

I need a name for this magical energy that my wizards use to fuel their magic. I don't want to use the name "Mana" because it feels like it's been overused and it always makes me think about every Fantasy RPG I've ever played.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Yours,
TopHat.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
it feels like it's been overused .
So I guess "The Force" is out...?:p

I would suggest making up your own word so it has no associations beyond what you write.
Of if that doesn't work for you, go with something very simple like "power" or "essence"...

katie

By the time I'm at the stage where I want to name something like my magical force, I have a linguistic flavor, so my "cheat" method is to play with a translation site or a dictionary (if I happen to own one for the language in question...I have an embarrassing number of dictionaries for languages I don't know). For something like magic energy, I'd see what the translations for "magic", "energy", "power", and other related words are and create my own word.

TopHat

Minstrel
Yes, "the Force" is definitely out! :p lol

I guess it doesn't have to be more difficult then that :p I'm using latin words for a lot of naming in my story. And a little greek... I guess it works on naming a power too.
Thanks both of you! :)

shangrila

Inkling
I use a thesaurus when I'm stuck. It doesn't always pan out, but it might be useful to get the ball rolling (and other related words might sound cooler in latin or whatever other language).

Also, it might be worth exploring how this energy got it's name. For example, I have a world where the magic crystals in it are referred to as glim, which comes from a quote by the man who found it ("it's greater than all that glimmers and shines" and, hence, glim).

Rob P

Minstrel
Try Ambrar as some crooked derivation of Ambrosia which was used by the ancient Gods of Greek Myth.

Although Ambrosia was technically mushrooms, so we are in the world of Super Mario for powering up.

TopHat

Minstrel
Ok, how about "Navo"? I got it from the latin word "navitas" which means "energy".

Does it sound a bit... wierd to you guys?

Last edited:

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
It doesn't leap out at me as "wrong" - if that helps.
I like that it is short and has two syllables but is hard to shorten further.
Nothing strange come up in Google [its a small place in Texas and a networking company in the UK]

I wouldn't use Navo. It's the dutch abbreviation of NATO (north atlantic treaty organisation --> noord-atlantische verdragsorganisatie). It might not bother people that much, but I just wanted you to know.

TopHat

Minstrel
Really, Navo is the dutch abbreviation of NATO? Hmm... Then maybe i could change it to "Naevo" instead... Or how about "Nova", as in the star? :p That's kind of cool!

I'd go with Naevo. Navo could still also be an option (if you'd prefer it) because the abbreviation is in full capitals (NAVO). I prefer Naevo though (no confusion possible and it's has a ring to it).

I believe in calling a duck a duck. If if is mana, call it mana.

However, if you can think of something related to the setting - something that makes your world unique - name the generic power after that element. All things in a work should tie together if they can.

For example, on World A-1 Wind does not flow based on physical laws, but are more random in nature. Wind is believed to be caused by powerful thoughts and events. So, "Wind" is equated with magic, and magic is described with wind themed words.

Varamyrr

Minstrel
I'd go with Naevo. Navo could still also be an option (if you'd prefer it) because the abbreviation is in full capitals (NAVO). I prefer Naevo though (no confusion possible and it's has a ring to it).

I'm Belgian(dutch speaking). My opinion would be to go for naevo. Not because navo could stand for NATO but because I prefer the sound of naevo more.