• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

I'm not good with the describe yourself in one word game.

LadyCass

Scribe
If I had to pick one word to describe myself it would be Cassandra.

Anywho... just checking into the introduce yourself thread. I'm a newbie author looking for some help with proofing my work, writing query letters, and the sort. I crave character driven story lines. I watch some tv and movies but read more books.

Hmmm... really love the the Mercedes series by Patricia Briggs, Cassie Palmer series by Karen Chance, Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson, The Thief series by Megan Whalen Turner... just to name a few.

Favorite movies are Star Trek, Step Brothers, PS I love You

Favorite TV shows are Smallville and Gilmore Girls.

LadyCass

Scribe
Shoot... looks like hit the wrong button on my first reply.

I'm writing my second book. The first was a traditional fantasy book set in it's own world. It was fun but as a first book all I can see now our it's errors. :)
The book I am working on now is an urban fantasy. It has do with Irish folklore living among us. I love it.
What do you write?

Jeff Xilon

Minstrel
My writing is currently split between working on short stories that usually fall under the speculative fiction umbrella, which I usually send out to collect rejections, and a serial that is a collection of fantasy stories which share a setting (in both time and place). I made a post about the serial: http://mythicscribes.com/forums/self-promotion/8052-empire-animal-my-ongoing-fantasy-serial.html. I also sometimes write bits of flash or micro fiction that appear on my blog, often in answer to one of the several (many?) weekly fiction challenges that are out there.

Irish folklore urban fantasy does sound fun. I used to think urban fantasy wasn't for me, until I realized I just hadn't read the UF that was suited to me (and learned that Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy are different things). Now some of my favorite current authors could fall under the UF umbrella. (Chuck Wendig, Lauren Beukes, Mur Lafferty)

LadyCass

Scribe
The rejection comment made me smirk because those have been more than slightly humbling for me. :)

I've done very little reading in speculative fiction... I might need to look into that.

I think Urban Fantasy has grown a lot in the past few years. It did use to be mostly paranormal romance. Now it strongly stands on it's own. I'm very excited to be tapping into some folklore that mainstream hasn't used much.

Weaver

Sage
Hi, Cassandra. Welcome to the zoo. Don't worry, though -- the critters are all friendly.

I think Urban Fantasy has grown a lot in the past few years. It did use to be mostly paranormal romance. Now it strongly stands on it's own. I'm very excited to be tapping into some folklore that mainstream hasn't used much.

Urban Fantasy started out as just that -- fantasy stories in modern, urban settings. (I swear, the next time some idiot says that War for the Oaks is 'jumping on the latest urban fantasy bandwagon,' I will hit them repeatedly with a metaphorical cyber-fish. That novel was published in the late 1980s, fer cat's sake! It's one of the novels that started urban fantasy as a subgenre.) Only later did it turn somehow into (mostly) romances with supernatural trappings. I am VERY pleased to see that it is returning to its roots at last.

(Favorire UF authors: Emma Bull, Charles de Lint, a few others whose names I cannot remember without looking at my books that are all, alas, in storage right now.)

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Welcome Cassandra. Finally, someone else who likes Gilmore Girls.

Yes, Urban Fantasy has its own life now; the books dominate the shelves War for the Oaks, mentioned by Weaver, is quite good. Tanya Huff's blood books are also relatively early entrants into the genre, as are books by Charles de Lint and Robert Holdstock.