• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Getting in the mood to write

Devora

Sage
I've been finding myself not wanting to write every time try to write my story. I just stare at the screen and then close Word, and go thru the internet. And when i have a moment when i want to write, the moment i open Word immediately lose the spark.

Can anyone give me advice for this?

I've been finding myself not wanting to write every time try to write my story. I just stare at the screen and then close Word, and go thru the internet. And when i have a moment when i want to write, the moment i open Word immediately lose the spark.

Can anyone give me advice for this?

Option 1: Disconnect your Internet.

Option 2: Write in a notebook.

Option 3: Figure out what exactly you don't want to write about. That is to say, is there a specific story you're still willing to write, or a specific scene you're willing to skip ahead to? If possible, see if you can determine why.

Ahhh, my old nemesis the Scary Bicycle. :)

But, it seems like ALL writers deal with this-- if not every single day, certainly often enough. Including our favorite much-honored pros. It's part of the sheer work it takes to get a tale done, and there are no simple fixes.

My main thoughts are: First, accept that each time it's going to be hard to start, and easier once you get rolling (the "riding a bike, but one that still scares you to start" metaphor above). Second, nobody said your first thing each day had to be the next line of the story itself. Maybe you get in the mood faster with editing, or doing a five-line plan of who's going to argue what in the dialog ahead, or with research into the local trees or cars. Whatever works.

C Hollis

Troubadour
I was surprised at how much environment plays into my writing.

I had an office until my daughter moved back home, so the bulk of my first book was written while sitting at a pub table in my den, or while sitting at the patio table. It was quite simple, headphones in, words out. But it was, at times, laborious. I will never forget when the girl moved out and moved back into my office. My entire weekend disappeared before I looked up from the computer screen.
For myself, my office is where I write. That is not to say that I can't write elsewhere, but when I open the door and smell the remnants of that quality Japanese incense, my mind drifts away from the real world and the characters in my head cheer.
To each their own, but creating an environment conducive to writing has been the winner for me. If it's not writing related, it doesn't happen in this office.

Devora

Sage
Let me clarify that i suffer from ADHD (the actual kind), and so having to keep my attention on something long enough is a grand effort in itself.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
Yeah, I, too, have ADHD... oh look, a chicken!

But, I digress, as usual.

On my monitor are taped 3 instructions - "Trust Your Demon," "Conflict = Story," and most important for us ADHD types "Keep Your Butt In The Chair."

So, my first question for you is, do you trust your demon? Are you feeling confident in your story? Are you putting it off, somehow? I've done this one before.

Second question - Do you have conflict enough to get you interested in writing? Are you excited about where your story is going today? Do you even know where your story is going today? Been here before, too, and it SUCKS until you can figure out the problem. Fortunately, it's fairly easy to solve. Just look at your plot, look at your characters, ask them what they want... and then don't give it to them. Then, figure out how to royally mess with their day (BUT, in a plot-serving fashion, of course ;) ).

Third question (and this is the hard one) - What are you doing to reduce distractions? Personally, I NEED a few distractions to concentrate. My ADHD demands it. I have my playlists all selected before I get to work, I have my candy, my drink, my salty snacks all ready. I have my slinky (all writers need a slinky), my lip balm, my stuffed griffon, absolutely everything I could possibly need while I'm in a writing session so I KEEP MY BUTT IN THE CHAIR. And then, I type. No, I do not turn off the interwebs, though it might not hurt me to try, but I find it doesn't distract me too much once questions one and two are answered.

Hope that helps!

Masronyx

Minstrel
For me, the mood to write sometimes comes at the wrong time. Like during the semester when all I am doing is work and school online. I've had the itch during work; but when I get home, that urge is gone because I am too tired to pick up a notebook. I'll have the itch before work, but only have a few minutes to scribble something down before work starts. :p
I used to write once a week, and then it would be several pages at once.

I've always had this problem: I want to write SOMETHING; but I have no idea in my head. That urge is always there, but there is nothing to write about.

I've written in notebooks for years. I finally got me a Microsoft tablet with a detachable keyboard that it is easier to transport than my Dell laptop. I want to be able to have my files easily accessible that way. I think changing writing formats will help also. If you've always used a computer, pick up a notebook and use long hand and vise verse.

ecdavis

Troubadour
I do a lot of my writing in my head while at work, but though I have it all fairly well scripted out, by the time I get home exhausted, it is hard to sit and type it all out. I've found that just forcing yourself to close everything else out is one of the best things you can do.
The Internet is always a big tempter and sometimes even going to this group to catch up on posts can be a terrible distraction. It could be, Devora, that it is the computer that is messing up your creativity.

You might try something completely off the wall, for example, take a tape recorder and dictate into it what you wanted to write. Sure, it might not lead anywhere, but it might be what you need to get you past that hump.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
The easiest thing in the world to do is not write.

If you have aspirations of being a professional writer, you're going to need discipline to achieve that goal. You have to write whether or not you feel like writing....especially when you don't feel like it. If you can't do this, you'll never be much more than a hobbyist. That's the harsh truth. Writing is a job. Approach it that way.

Trouble getting inspired?

My advice is to get yourself a badly paid, mind-numbing and utterly soul-crushing job.

I guarantee the words will gusher forth on those rare opportunities you have the time or energy to switch on the laptop.

Devora

Sage
The easiest thing in the world to do is not write.

If you have aspirations of being a professional writer, you're going to need discipline to achieve that goal. You have to write whether or not you feel like writing....especially when you don't feel like it. If you can't do this, you'll never be much more than a hobbyist. That's the harsh truth. Writing is a job. Approach it that way.

With a edit-draft, forcing myself might work since that's what I am struggling to complete, but for the sake of discussion: how well would this apply to, say, the very first written draft? If there's one thing i know it's that forcing creativity is the downfall of a creative person.

The Unseemly

Troubadour
I agree with T.Allen.Smith's point. That is, of course, if you can maintain self-discipline. It's one of those annoying-in-the-beginning things. You can't stand the idea in the beginning, but with rigour and concentration, you'll achieve it, and it's a pretty liberating experience. You can just sit down at a time and place like you do every day, and write.

On the other hand, don't ever press yourself too hard write. If you simply don't have the "vibe" to write something, and you've just got a fat blank in your head, skip ahead, and write something that appeases you more. Or, as I do, stand up, do something simple like fill the dishwasher, and have a think about it. Create scenarios in your head, write out passages in your mind, or simply tell yourself the story so far, and then what's going to happen.

So I suppose discipline can be a flexible word; it depends how you look at it. Perhaps the best kind of discipline (in my humble opinion) is not to get distracted like Real Life wants us to, and do something productive.

Tom_Bombadil

Acolyte
Each person has their own best environment for writing. Mine is either alone in my room without any noise and very little light or else sitting at my computer blaring film soundtracks and Two Steps From Hell music. But to each his own as has probably already been said.

T.Allen.Smith

Staff
With a edit-draft, forcing myself might work since that's what I am struggling to complete, but for the sake of discussion: how well would this apply to, say, the very first written draft? If there's one thing i know it's that forcing creativity is the downfall of a creative person.

I think it applies more than ever when concerning a rough draft. In my opinion, the whole "waiting for inspiration & creativity" bit is a bunch of malarkey. Sitting down, every day to work...no matter how little your daily goal, creates a habit. That habit will spark the creativity your looking for. Yes, you can have inspiration occur from nowhere, but it is not dependable. If you wait for it, only writing when you feel like it, you won't accomplish much. Chances are you'll have a pile of unfinished work sitting around for a long, long time.

You have to decide if this is truly something you want to accomplish. If it is, set a goal & be disciplined in achieving it. Set a realistic goal, something relatively easy to accomplish at first (say 300 words a day). Stick to it come hell or high water & write in earnest with all of the focus you can muster on that daily 300 words. Finish each day when you still feel like writing more. This will help you start the next night because you'll look forward to completing the last train of thought. These strategies will help you create a strong habit where you'll feel odd if your not writing. At the end of a month, look back at what you've accomplished. I promise you, it adds up quickly. Then, reevaluate your goal. Increase or decrease depending on how you responded to the task. If you found it easy, bump it up. Decrease a bit if it was a struggle.

We can all offer ourselves excuses about why we don't write. You & I are no different. In the end though, it comes down to battling away your fears of the blank page, diving in, and doing the hard work. The only other option is to just continue to talk about writing. Writers write.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club" - Jack London

"Writing is most of all an exercise in determination." - Tom Clancy

Last edited:

Tom

Istar
I'm hyper enough to be honest-to-goodness ADHD (though I've tested negative for it) so staying on task for me is the equivalent of a treasure-hording dragon NOT going after that elusive gem. I've found that if I play Celtic/folk music and stay in a place where I can see the outdoors, I can focus reasonably well. I work best in a natural environment and if I'm cooped up in a confined space it crushes my creativity.

Get outdoors and explore nature! It'll work like magic....

C

Chessie

Getting outdoors is great advice! At times when I've been stumped on scenes, I go on a hike or do some yoga and it clears my mind. Nature is a fantastic source of magical inspiration. :)

I also like to free write. Ask questions in "what" or "who" format, all scribbles in my notebook. One thing that has also helped me is carving out a bit of time in the mornings to dedicate to my writing. I prepare my tea then get to work. Its consistent and I've been getting a lot done. Its your time with your writing. :)

Penpilot

Staff
Article Team
Here's a post I wrote on a different forum in... OMG 2008... on the subject. It's a five-years-younger me talking but for the most part the sentiment holds.

The muse is a big fat lazy witch that wants to do nothing but eat bon-bons and watch Oprah all day long. That right I said it.

After finishing my first novel and doing rewrites to it, I found that I achieved so much more if I didn’t wait around for her, my muse, to get up off the crumb riddled couch. Sometimes you just have to write whether you’re feeling it or not. You put on the greased stained, wife-beater, tank top, grab that witch by the hair, drag her to the computer, and pound her into submission with each key stroke. (Please be advised this is in no way condoning violence toward women.)

This isn’t to say that the muse and inspiration doesn’t have its place, but I’ve come to the realization that those things alone will only take you so far before you hit a wall, and you’re left with two choices in my opinion: start something else that you’re “inspired” about or roll up the sleeves and go to work.

As I’m going through the rewrites to my novel, I find myself remembering things said by my collage writing teacher. He told the class that one of the purposes of writing for the course was to empty ourselves. I wasn’t sure what he meant back then, but I think I have an idea now. You see, as you write, the more you write, you purge yourself of all the pent up ideas, all the preconceptions and expectations that get built up over time about what you want to write and how you want to write it. This allows you to just write and let the words come instead of forcing them to be this or that instead of what they should be. In some ways, I think this means that you’re purging yourself of the dependence on the muse to get you to write, or to make your writing “good”.

The more writing I do in the “uninspired” state, the more I realize that the “uninspired” writing can be equal if not better than the “inspired” writing. I find that things that I wrote while “uninspired,” which I thought were complete trash, turn out, when looking at them from an objective eye, to be rather good. I’ve also found that the reverse is true too. Things I wrote while inspired, which I thought were brilliant, turn out to be trash.

This brings me to the thought/theory that I have, maybe, this is one of the things that separates a “successful” writer from a “struggling” one, of which I believe I'm somewhere just past struggling. The “struggler” can only write when they are inspired and passionate, while the “successful” one can write no matter the mental state. They can just do it. Just a thought.