• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Hello

Avara

Dreamer
Hey everyone, my name's Avara. I stumbled across this place while searching for suggestions on good world building software and i have to say i'm both excited and surprised. With fantasy being constantly overshadowed by sci-fi i thought i would never find an active fantasy forum for writers unless it was a subforum of a sci-fi forum or more general creative writing forum. So i'm really happy to have found this place.

Anyway just saying hi all, if you have any questions you want to ask fire away

Avara

Weaver

Sage
Hi, Avara. Welcome to the zoo... I mean, the forums. :)

"fantasy being constantly overshadowed by sci-fi" Really? I must be looking at totally different web sites, unless you include sci-fi fan fiction in with that. I've seen more general creative writing forums than anything else (and unfortunately, some of those are not friendly toward writers of fantasy or science fiction), but I cannot recall ever seeing a writing forum devoted to science fiction. On the other hand, there are several that focus on fantasy. Mythic Scribes, of course, is the best of these.

Avara

Dreamer
Huh. Interesting. Its just been my experience that the two are often combined or that people don't take fantasy as seriously as sci-fi. But then i guess it depends on where you look and what you run into

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
I think the schism is because with the possible exception of CS Lewis there aren't many "serious literature" writers in fantasy. I can think of Stanislaw Lem, Kurt Vonighurt, JG Ballard, Ray Bradbury and Issac Asimov that are "respected" writers. perhaps for the concepts and ideas that are seen in their work or perhaps for what they've written outside sci-fi.
I don't agree with the divide [I'd rate the best of Terry Pratchett with the best humourist and satirists out there] but I do feel it is there...

And BTW
Welcome to Mythic Scribes.

Avara

Dreamer
Primarily other worldly high fantasy with natural born heroes rather than chosen ones as heroes and largely with female protaganists. Though i do have ideas for a superhero series, a vampire novel(that is NOT a romance), and a fantasy noire series. I'm currently working on creating a whole world around a trilogy I'm writing.

Avara

Dreamer
I think the schism is because with the possible exception of CS Lewis there aren't many "serious literature" writers in fantasy. I can think of Stanislaw Lem, Kurt Vonighurt, JG Ballard, Ray Bradbury and Issac Asimov that are "respected" writers. perhaps for the concepts and ideas that are seen in their work or perhaps for what they've written outside sci-fi.
I don't agree with the divide [I'd rate the best of Terry Pratchett with the best humourist and satirists out there] but I do feel it is there...

And BTW
Welcome to Mythic Scribes.

Yeah, unfortunately fantasy didn't have as many genre defining writers as sci-fi. Not to mention a lot of people are under the impression that fantasy is easy to write for, which it most certainly is not.

And thanks:D