• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Should I change my cover?

glutton

Inkling
So I'm wondering, does the cover of this novel of mine not jive well enough with the genre/blurb?

Saving Fate by Billy Wong - Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

I've been thinking of replacing this with this cover instead,

CCR Book Cover Design | Eden | Online Store Powered by Storenvy

although that would mean I'm down the money for the original cover and I also don't know if the old cover designer might take offense (it is a nice looking cover IMO, but if it isn't genre suitable...) What do you think, does the cover I have now look okay or not? Reason I'm thinking about it now BTW is because I'm planning to do a big advertising push of the Iron Flower series soon and even though this book isn't part of that, I still want all my novels to look nice and alluring (don't care as much about my short stories although I think most of their covers look decent).

Devor

Fiery Keeper of the Hat
I wouldn't worry about offending the original artist. Presumably, that person used stock photos, did what you told them, and was paid. If you've had a new, better idea, well, just maybe give the artist a heads up that you're switching so they don't list it wrong in their portfolio.

I like the "new" cover art more, but if I'm seeing this website right, several people will be using the same cover? That would seem weird to me, but I guess nobody is likely to notice. You could try speaking to your original artist and seeing if that person could darken the colors or add some effects to get it closer to something you like more.

They are both quality covers. The first one does imply that it is a romance novel. The second one is more neutral in that regard, but lacks the brightness of the first.

It's your decision, good luck.

glutton

Inkling
I like the "new" cover art more, but if I'm seeing this website right, several people will be using the same cover? That would seem weird to me, but I guess nobody is likely to notice.

With premades, once somebody buys the cover, the artist usually takes it off their site so it is no longer for sale.

Thanks for commenting both of you BTW.

MattR

Dreamer
Unlike others, I actually like the old one better. Its less fantasy-like, maybe, but It's done better, in my opinion.