• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Great Free Book Debate - seeking participants

ALB2012

Maester
I often see people arguing over the merits (or otherwise) of authors offering books for free for promotion purposes. Some people use it as a good marketing tool and some people see it as akin to satan's work. I also see readers snapping up free books left, right and centre and some who avoid them and would never read a free book.

I have decided to host a debate, both camps can put forward their views, including readers. Questions will be asked and opinions can be vented but it will not get nasty.

If you think you might like to be involved, either as an author or a reader please email me at [email protected] stating:

Author - for freebies.
Author - against freebies.
Reader - for freebies.
Reader - against freebies.

If I get enough responses it could be a regular thing.

Black Dragon

Staff
Administrator
UPDATE:

We will be running the final, edited version of this debate as a feature on the Mythic Scribes blog. It will be getting quite a bit of exposure.

If you are interested in participating, contact Alexandra (ALB201) at the email address in the first post of this thread.

ALB2012

Maester
At present I am intending to use Google docs as the basis as there may be some non mythic scribers involved.

ALB2012

Maester
I haven't forgotten, just setting up now on google drive. So this is the last call for readers and authors who wish to be involved. I will be sending the link out from my gmail account but please reply in the first instance to the email listed. I am hoping we get a really good debate going.

I have three novels on Amazon and they have not sold well, they're all $2.99 and 100k words. I wrote a 15k word free story as a prequel to my fantasy novel, "A Myth for the Reality Challenged," Bern Pearson. I could not figure out how to publish it on Amazon for free. (Any help would be appreciated.) I think that giving away 100k for free is too much. But, essentially, an exciting short story that introduces the main $2.99 novel is okay. It's rather like the lady in the candy store who gives you a bonbon sample. Now you want a pound of those suckers. So, how do I publish it for free?

ALB2012

Maester
You go to your dashboard, select the book and select "actions", find the manage promotions tab, then pick the dates. You get 5 days in every 90 but it doesn't let you pick the last day before it expires or the same day today. That is assuming you are in KDP select?

Sales take time, what do you do to market?