• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Likable character to an unlikable character

Alex97

Troubadour
Apologies if this topic has been covered before.

In my current WIP there is a main character (also a Pov) who starts off almost as the cliche unlikely hero. However he ends up betraying the protagonist. This is going to be one of the pivotal plot twists as this character eventually becomes the primary antagonist. I'm fairly confident this will pay off, however I'm slightly concerned that readers will feel cheated if a character they previously rooted for becomes a traitor.

Thanks for any feedback

Alexandra

Closed Account
... I'm slightly concerned that readers will feel cheated if a character they previously rooted for becomes a traitor... Thanks for any feedback

Change can be a very good thing and we, and our characters, are all capable of it—it is, after all, one of the few constants in life. Besides, better a somewhat unique traitor than a cliche hero. ;)

Spider

Sage
If this character's reason for betraying the protagonist seems justified, you might even have some readers still rooting for him. I know I've come across some traitors/antagonists who I can relate to more than the protagonist.

Alex97

Troubadour
Besides, better a somewhat unique traitor than a cliche hero.
Agreed, I hate protagonists like that which is why I though I'd try and turn the cliche on it's head.

If this character's reason for betraying the protagonist seems justified, you might even have some readers still rooting for him. I know I've come across some traitors/antagonists who I can relate to more than the protagonist.
I'm hoping readers will have a mixed reaction to the character. On one hand he is somewhat mislead into betrayal and also wants to rebuild a crumbling empire. On the other hand he is also tempted by greed and does some pretty bad stuff simply out of bitterness. This should make for a complex and interesting personality.

Scribble

Archmage
I personally find this a brilliant arc for a secondary character. I am biased because I have had these characters in my stories. The seed of that antagonism should be planted early on. This is how things happen between people. You come to a difference of philosophy, of definitions of loyalty, clashing priorities, clashing emotions. The antagonist can very firmly feel that the protagonist has betrayed their trust, or veered from an earlier state into something they cannot abide. Often the only thing holding two very different people together is love, and when that love fails, the familiarity breeds contempt. You can come to loathe the very sound of their breathing.

My view is that the opposite of love is not hate, but indifference. Hate is just a particular tempo of love. What better antagonist could you want than one who knows the protagonist so intimately. The potential for bitter revenge and cutting dialogue is far greater than with some barely known enemy whose motivations may be obscure.

Alex97

Troubadour
That was well put Scribble. An antagonist who the main character knows would allow for more interesting dialogue and reaction. The worst enemies are former friends and the resentment and bitterness runs a lot deeper.

That was well put Scribble. An antagonist who the main character knows would allow for more interesting dialogue and reaction. The worst enemies are former friends and the resentment and bitterness runs a lot deeper.

And yet they still, deep down, remember the love and yearn for its return. This is the true motherload of emotion to mine.

Scribble

Archmage
And yet they still, deep down, remember the love and yearn for its return. This is the true motherload of emotion to mine.

Sounds like a winner. Anger at the other person for breaking the peace, as time goes on can shift to anger at the loss of what they used to have, or even self-anger at being unable to back down from their position. Lots of sticky emotional stuff, makes for good reading.

Addison

Auror
This was used in a recent best-seller which I'm currently reading and loving despite the attitude of said evil character. The book is "The School for Good and Evil". No spoilers, but the first character we're introduced to (an alternating POV between her and her friend) doesn't scream "Evil" but doesn't scream "Good" either. She's the snot next door who thinks she's good and learns different.

I strongly recommend this book for anyone with a character like that.

A. E. Lowan

Forum Mom
Leadership
I have some pretty evil bastards who end up siding with good through the course if our books. Redemption is a big theme for us, and is a pretty sympathetic quality.

teacup

Auror
I don't see why people will feel cheated, I'd love to read twists like that.
I also nearly always love the villains, no matter what horrible things they might do. They're just fun:p