• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Cover for Shardfall

Graylorne

Archmage
Here it is, the cover of my first international book title: Shardfall, #1 of the Shardheld Saga trilogy.

Created by Jos Weijmer, of JW Artstudio, Maastricht, NL.

It depicts a crucial scene near the beginning of the story.

1129291.jpg

Evilyn

Scribe
I like it, the only thing I would suggest is changing the font colour to maybe silver or gold, because at the moment (to me) their is too much green so doesn't stand out enough ( the cloak, the glowing hand, the material he is garrotting the bloke with).

Other than that, it has a very Robert Jordan feel (his old covers) which is not a bad thing

Last edited:

Graylorne

Archmage
@Evilyn - Thanks! The green is on purpose. Book 2 and 3 get another identifying color. A Robert Jordan cover - the artist will like that.

@Draco99 - It's not my talent, alas, but I'll pass to compliment to the designer.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
t has a very Robert Jordan feel (his old covers) which is not a bad thing

I'm going to echo this.
For me it has an older [almost emotionally friendly] feel to it, like I've just rediscovered a long forgotten paperback that I thought lost years ago.
and I like the snow shoes...

Graylorne

Archmage
I'm glad! My writing is in a way a reaction to the modern, harder styles and the artist echoes that in his cover designs. I hope enough people think the same to try my books. Anyway, you made my day, CupofJoe.

Weaver

Sage
I like the green text with the other green elements. The common color draws the eye to the important parts of the picture -- the shard-thing being the most important, I assume from the title. Intensifying the green in the text could make it stand out more, but I don't think it should be changed to a different color.

Something else I like about this cover is that it in no way looks like someone just reworked a photograph of a couple people in bad costumes bought off eBay. It's very "old school" fantasy cover art.

Graylorne

Archmage
Thanks all!

Old school, yes. All my English titles breathe more or leass the same atmosphere, and the upcoming ones will as well. They should be identifiable as both part of a series and of the same author, besides being different from the usual fantasy covers.

Capture2.JPG

Graylorne

Archmage
These comments escaped me, I'm sorry. :) Thanks for liking them.

@ Lawfire, I passed your compliment on to the artist.