• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

What are your religious views?

Xanados

Maester
I am an Anglican, and I have gone to church almost every Sunday for most of my life. I do believe in God, but I don't believe in forcing my beliefs on others, they have the right to their beliefs.
One a kind you are...one of a kind. I'm a Pagan. (Not Wiccan)

Misusscarlet

Minstrel
Deism. The belief in a Higher Power that created earth and the people and that's where it stops, he has nothing else to do with us other than our creation. Don't believe in miracles or Jesus coming back to life, or even that he existed. Jesus was just a special guy. No Noah's ark, no parting of the red sea. It works for me.

I was raised to believe in Christianity, I have since identified as nonreligious/atheist, for 6 years.

but I think it's important to remember that things like evolution and the Big Bang are called "theories" for a reason.
Let me just say I am very familiar with the arguments for an against religion. What you are doing is conflating the scientific and layman's definition of the word 'theory'. In science a theory is a set of facts that explains a natural phenomenon, ie something that actually happens. to demonstrate my point: germ theory is a theory too.
peanut gallery: oh I can't believe you are sighting wikipedia!
my response: I can't be bothered to find a proper source right now.

Last edited:
Another Mormon (probably not a shock if you've read enough of my posts). I love being LDS, and my religion is a core part of my life. I'm not originally from Utah, I grew up in Illinois and Ohio, outside of the 'bubble.' My mom converted and raised all four of us kids LDS. It stuck with three of us (the girls), and my brother is only 20, so I'm interested in seeing what he chooses when he's a little older. My dad is non-denominational. So I'm not a typical Mormon in the sense of how I was raised, but I like it that way. I've seen other things, and I still choose this.

A theoretical question for people who have mentioned experiments and proof: Say there is a God. He is omniscient, all-powerful, etc., and he doesn't want there to be proof that he exists so that people must exercise faith. All experiments to prove his existence would have to fail or be inconclusive.

I've heard it said that human beings can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God. I think that's true. Either way, I'm happy. If I'm wrong, I have still lived a good life.

I was raised baptist, but I've discovered I'm not overly fond of religions. I believe in God, and have a very strong faith. Since I tend to question most everything from time to time, I came to the conclusion that while the majority of religions start with good intentions, too often they are used as a means to try and control people and twisting the tenents of the religion in ways never intended.

Since I do question, I know there are many that have mentioned that there is no proof God exists. I look up in the sky at night (or better yet the pictures comming out of the Hubble space telescope) and I find my answer. Walk out into any area we haven't taken over, and look at the beauty that is there. If it is all random chance, I loose nothing, but I prefer to believe that it was all done with a purpose, whether we understand it or not.

Aegle

Minstrel
Southern Baptist, don't see that changing at any point. Now then - the church's I have had the pleasure of attending, would never tell anyone to leave or disallow them to congregate, given that they ascribe to the belief that church is mainly for sinners.

I don't like religious discussion, seeing as I'm as strong in my faith, as I am to my privacy. ..albeit I'm glad I could give a little input here. :)

Helbrecht

Minstrel
What you are doing is conflating the scientific and layman's definition of the word 'theory'. In science a theory is a set of facts that explains a natural phenomenon, ie something that actually happens. to demonstrate my point: germ theory is a theory too.

I'm aware of the definition, yeah. What I meant to suggest there was that, occasionally, theories can be disproved, corrected or amended. To demonstrate my point: Newton's laws of motion were proven to have a few holes in by Einstein to be inaccurate when dealing with data that's very precise or an object that's very fast. There are absolutely no absolutes in science, and definitely no definites. :p Looking at history, I find it arrogant to assume that our scientific knowledge is ever complete, or even sufficient. To do so is to let science stagnate, right?

Anyway, I digress, that's another debate entirely. Having said all that, I think currently established science is sufficient enough an explanation for the origins and development of life, the universe and everything. I threw that line in there as an afterthought and I apologise for the confusion. What I meant to say was, I don't begrudge people their scepticism of established scientific theories so long as they don't begrudge me my support of them. :)

Katsushika Hokusai grew up in a time when Japan was relatively isolated and knew little of other paintings, so his work is influenced by the Japanese landscape and Japanese artwork. I don't think that if he were born in China, and could travel the world or see art from Europe, that he wouldn't have been an artist, but how and what he drew may have been quite different.

Hate to disagree, but as someone who has studied Art history at Art College, I can tell you that Hokusai and the other Ukiyo-e artists were in fact influenced by the western art that was coming in to the country at the time! The Japanese take on perspective and anatomy was then exported back to the west to influence European artists! But apart from that your basic premise is not without merit if you go back another couple of hundred years.

Personally I tend more towards Norse Heathenism for my religion - because it emphasises the personal responsibility of man for his own actions. As a heathen I'm not allowed to say well its ok to do this because my god says so, I have to ask myself if the actions are right in themselves, independantly of religious belief (if that makes sense).