• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Man or Men?

BWFoster78

Myth Weaver
It's not just about the reader. :p

I tend to think that, if you pay enough attention to the small stuff, it will result in enough of an enhancement of overall quality that most readers will notice. They may not think, "Wow, Brian did an awesome job not making it sound like a single soldier existed in two places at once." But, they will notice it if the writing flows well, and there aren't a lot of mistakes to pull them from the story.

That's my standard response when someone implies I'm being a little too particular.

However, I like this answer, too.

In the end, it's really all about producing a product that I can feel proud of. I can't live with the thought that I'm putting complete crap out there.

Caged Maiden

Staff
Article Team
Two guards stood with backs facing, one on each side of the gate.

One guard stood directly under the torch, his face a dark shadow under his helm. The other, on the far side of the gate, faced west, away from the light.

I dunno... I think the original sentence was perfectly fine and no one would ever think a man was split in half, but if you need to change it for your own purposes, just try not to make it sound weird. Use the guards to connect to the setting a little more maybe.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
I like "A pair of guards flanked the gate."

You could also say "Two men guarded the gate, one on either side."