• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Serious case of writer's block

Recently, I swore that I would write far more and get as many books out and published as possible. Well, I broke that promise. The last time I wrote was back in early May. (feel free to punish me accordingly)

Right now, the Night and Day, my sequel, is the least of my worries. I need to get some trung novels or something out and published as soon as possible. This will pick up my endurance and kick-start a writing-adrenaline rush. Any ideas on what to write? The only thing I absolutely REFUSE to write is Kama-Sutra or Romance. Those are not my genres and I can't write them. Other than that, I'll take just about anything at this point.

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Back to basics: The evil dragon captures the princess and the brave night goes to save her and then they live happily ever after. :)

Mara Edgerton

Troubadour
How about the story from the heroic dragon's point of view--the dragon who wipes out these crummy human princes and princesses who have taken over his land.:p

ndmellen

Minstrel
start a scene off with a dead body at your feet and a bloodied weapon in your hand. The corpse is that of your best friend/ brother. How did you get there?

skip.knox

toujours gai, archie
You are at a night club. You see a well-dressed man in a fancy car with a beautiful woman, but the man is well-lit. One foot hangs out of the door and the valet is trying to get him stuffed in. Suddenly the woman dumps the drunk and drives away. You decide to help the fellow, against your better judgment.

Yeah, I know. But where would *you* take the story?

Azza

Scribe
If I'm really struggling with inspiration for writing, I sometimes transform a real event in my own life into a fantasy setting. This can sometimes produce the spark which might lead on to full novels or whatever! So for example: last year I lost my dog (not true).

Fantasy Transformation:
The Keeper of Beasts at the Arcane University accidentally left the door of the bloodhound's cage ajar, the bloodhound escapes and the Keeper must go on a wild chase through the city to capture the animal before it hurts somebody (or the University Director finds out)!

It works with pretty much anything, and it provides a basic plot with the number of characters and the sequence of events already laid out for you. Even if this doesn't lead to the writing of a masterpiece, it's great writing practice!

Weaver

Sage
start a scene off with a dead body at your feet and a bloodied weapon in your hand. The corpse is that of your best friend/ brother. How did you get there?

Yeah, but people always say to avoid prologues, so I had to delete that part... :)

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team

Let's improve on that; the corpse is actually your own. You know because you've lived in it all your life, but who are you now?

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Ok, so let's combine things.

You're at the club. You're having a great time; checking out the hotties, sipping a baccardi like it's your birthday. Suddenly the scent of burnt flesh fills your nostrils and you realize the club is on fire. You flap your wings but you realize that the room is much too small for you and that people are fleeing from you in terror. What happened? You weren't a dragon this morning?

Weaver

Sage
Ok, so let's combine things.

You're at the club. You're having a great time; checking out the hotties, sipping a baccardi like it's your birthday. Suddenly the scent of burnt flesh fills your nostrils and you realize the club is on fire. You flap your wings but you realize that the room is much too small for you and that people are fleeing from you in terror. What happened? You weren't a dragon this morning?

...And then I think, Wait a minute! I thought it was supposed to be caffeine, not alcohol, that caused uncontrollable shapeshifting.

(I've got a WiP in which the MC was a dragon that morning.)