• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

The Origins and Musings of Ivan Sailor

First of all, my name is Ivan and I hail from Romania. I barely have any writing talent whatsoever due to the fact that my first language is obviously Romanian. But I love fantasy books and I'm especially fond of the darker, grittier fantasy books that have been coming out lately. My favorite author at the moment is Brent Weeks. If anyone has any book or author recommendations, they are more than welcome to tell me.
Also, Ivan Sailor isn't my name, more of a pun on my real one made by a friend, if my understanding of puns is correct.
That said, hello there!

Last edited:

Azza

Scribe
Hi Ivan,
Nice to meet you! You don't have to be a talented writer to enjoy mythic scribes (I'm sure you're not as bad as you think) and as long as you love fantasy books, as you've said, then you'll get along with everyone just fine! There are loads of fantasy books I could recommend to you, but considering you said you like 'darker, gritter fantasy' then I have to put forward: Joe Abercrombie - the First Law trilogy, if you haven't already read it.

Welcome to the gang!

Sheilawisz

Queen of Titania
Hello Ivan, and Welcome to Mythic Scribes!!

Thank you for joining our community. I am sure that you are not as bad a writer as you think, but anyway, here you can receive and also give advice to other writers and learn how to improve your writing talents. Please explore the Forums, visit the Showcase when you have a count of five posts and feel like home.

Romania is a very fascinating country, I would love to go there one day. My native language is Castilian (so we belong to the same family of languages, right?) and I can tell you that we can learn to write very well in English, no matter which is our native language, after all.

I have written three Fantasy novels and several short stories in English, but I also write in Castilian... Do you write your stories in Romanian, or also in English?

Wow, I wasn't expecting such a warm welcome, so thanks a lot.

Hi Ivan,
There are loads of fantasy books I could recommend to you, but considering you said you like 'darker, gritter fantasy' then I have to put forward: Joe Abercrombie - the First Law trilogy, if you haven't already read it.

Welcome to the gang!

Thanks for the recommendation, I've already tried to read Joe Abercrombie's "Red Country" but gave up halfway trough because the plot was moving forward very slowly, but I'll try The First Law. It has a pretty good rating on Goodreads.

Hello Ivan, and Welcome to Mythic Scribes!!

Thank you for joining our community. I am sure that you are not as bad a writer as you think, but anyway, here you can receive and also give advice to other writers and learn how to improve your writing talents. Please explore the Forums, visit the Showcase when you have a count of five posts and feel like home.

Romania is a very fascinating country, I would love to go there one day. My native language is Castilian (so we belong to the same family of languages, right?) and I can tell you that we can learn to write very well in English, no matter which is our native language, after all.

I have written three Fantasy novels and several short stories in English, but I also write in Castilian... Do you write your stories in Romanian, or also in English?

To answer your questions. I guess both our languages are Latin ones, so our languages are probably siblings? I try to write in Romanian as much as I do in English, but it just isn't the same. I fell in love with the English language sometime in the sixth grade when I started keeping notebooks in which I would write really bad short stories in English. The Romanian language just seems so dull and mundane to me now that I can't seem to produce anything of actual value.