• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Do I really need a prologue? How important is it?

C

Chessie

Hi everyone, I just wanted to bring this topic up for discussion (didn't see a thread about it so mods if I missed it please let me know).

I'm not a fan of prologues, I just want to dive into the story! But as a writer, I realize there are readers out there who love it. I currently don't have plans to create one for my story though I am open to it. Just wanted to read some "yays" or "nays" and get a good opinion working from some of you writers out there. What do you think?

The Unseemly

Troubadour
Hi everyone, I just wanted to bring this topic up for discussion (didn't see a thread about it so mods if I missed it please let me know).

I believe there has been many threads dedicated to prologue here and elsewhere, but, I suppose, one more won't hurt.

First off to say - don't ever force yourself to write a prologue. If it isn't necessary to the plotline ahead, then don't bother. Thus, the shortened answer to your question is: no, you don't need a prologue.

Also, another thing to keep in mind: prologues are where many people get the false impression that "prologue" translates to "info dump". Many authors have chosen to, and choose to, write a prologue more as an introduction to their world (called a preface, these days), and this isn't necessary. As always, this works only sometimes, but if you want a prologue like this, you'll have to establish a strong and interesting narrator voice.

Your second question is: how important is it? My general answer is: as important as you want it to be. If it's just a world-introduction (point above) then the importance isn't too great, as it doesn't concern the story as a whole. On the other hand, if you write a prologue more as a prologue (not a preface), and write a past event that affects the continum of the story, then yes, it is pretty important. Bear in mind, however, that some people, by default, just skip the prologue because they consider prologues to be, by defualt, info dumps (point above again).

On the overall, I would suggest not to invest too much time in trying to write a prologue. If your story has a past event that effects the future (or you wish to do the world-intro thing), then you can certainly write a prologue. But if this isn't necessary, then don't.

C Hollis

Troubadour
Don't write a prologue just to have one. When I wrote my first book, I realized the first chapter wasn't really the first chapter, but it was an event important to the story, so it ended up as a prologue.
My second book has none.

Follow the demands of the story, not what you think the readers might want to possibly see. If the story doesn't have a prologue, then it doesn't have a prologue.

Mythopoet

Auror
I find this hilarious since the "common wisdom" among publishing types these days is that prologues are taboo.

No, you don't need a prologue. You don't need anything. (Except a character in a place struggling over something.) You should never write something because you think it's what readers like. Readers are a vast and varied group full of people who like everything and people who dislike everything. You should always only write what interests you and what you enjoy writing and reading. There will be readers out there who share your interests and likes and appreciate your stories.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
You don't need a prologue. Odds are you're better off without one. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to put one in. I prefer that the author get right to the story.

TWErvin2

Auror
If a prologue isn't absolutely needed, then don't include it. What will it add to the story other than the novel's heading being "Prologue" as opposed to "Chapter 1"?

C

Chessie

Cool, thanks everyone. I wasn't sure how important it was to create one. Thanks for your input!

pskelding

Troubadour
A well done prologue adds something important to the story that a POV or secondary character doesn't or can't but we the audience need to know.

All other prologues are superfluous and unnecessary IMHO.

Steerpike

Felis amatus
Alternatively, I've heard authors say not to put essential information in the prologue, because some readers skip them. I've been known to skip a few myself, because I'm not generally a fan of them. I guess the obvious question is: if there's nothing essential there, why have it?

ThinkerX

Myth Weaver
The only one of my WIP's I'm considering a prologue for is 'Labyrinth', and that soley because I envision it as a two part work (assuming I ever get to the second part). The first part is a 'Black Company' style journal, and the MC of Part II is the descendant of the MC in Part I. Hence, a prologue for Part I might be in order (where the Part II MC finds the journal). If I go this route (Big 'If') the prologue probably won't be more than a few hundred words.