• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Rangers Apprentice: What do you think?

fcbkid15

Scribe
I've recently been reading the Rangers Apprentice series and I love them. The first few are a little short, but the are still good. I love the characters, the world, everything. The whole idea of all the rangers corps is just awesome. Many books have had rangers in them, but they haven't gotten into all the details of it, how the rangers work. These books focus on all that. The author, John Flanagan did a really good job of coming up with his own version of the rangers. Their not warriors, their silent spy's almost. The whole idea is just cool to me. But what I'm asking is have you guys read them? Heard of them? What do you think of them? Do you like them? Well, have fun discussing this!

I read a few of that series. I thought it was an enjoyable YA series. I did, however, get the feeling after book four that the author was struggling to keep the series going. It kind of got that "padded" feeling.

fcbkid15

Scribe
Yeah. The first four are the best. The newer ones are still good, but like you said, padded. I mean look at R.A. Salvatore's ice wyndale, the first three were awesome, the other three, the legends of drizzt were pretty good, but now that he's written so many, there just meh.

Dr.Dorkness

Minstrel
they are great books. looking forward to part 7 and 8 (those are not available in my country yet, or atleast not in paperback like the rest. XD)

fcbkid15

Scribe
yeah. were at book 10 here in the states. i think thats where he plans to stop at though.

myrddin173

Maester
I really enjoyed all of the ones I have read (Books 1-7). I'm just waiting for the rest to come out in paperback, which seems to be taking an unusually long amount of time.

I wish, there way too expensive though.
I agree that they are expensive, however you will save in the long run. I bought my wife one this year and the first thing she got on it was 100 classic novels for $0.50. New releases run from half the cost of paperback to $1.00 If you buy a lot of books it is a good investment.

Argentum

Troubadour
I've read all ten books already. It's easy to find online as it's already been released in Australia. I love this series dearly. Not only did I love the whole idea of Rangers, the whole relationship between Halt and Will was incredible and endearing. Halt, Will, and Horace. They were my absolute favorites. The jesting and teasing and witty remarks between friends was one of the things that made this series awesome.

fcbkid15

Scribe
yeah, its pretty awesome. I hope they make a movie, but that they do a good job. I think it has the potential to be the next harry potter. Not the next epic series and movies, but the next best book to movie adaptation. Anyone get what I'm saying?

Argentum

Troubadour
They probably won't be as action packed or as intense as the Harry Potter books, but if they did a good job, I would go see every single movie. Since the books are pretty short, it should be easier to adapt without having to chop out huge sections of story to squeeze everything into a 2 hour movie.... unless they decide to take the first three movies and chop them down into one movie...which would be absolutely horrible.

Last edited:

Leuco

Troubadour
I agree that they are expensive, however you will save in the long run. I bought my wife one this year and the first thing she got on it was 100 classic novels for $0.50. New releases run from half the cost of paperback to $1.00 If you buy a lot of books it is a good investment.

I agree. If you buy a lot of books, you definitely will save more. ebooks are a lot cheaper. I can't believe new releases are over $20 in the bookstore. That seems so ridiculous! Kindles are at $114 now. Sooner or later, they'll drop in price again like Playstations. Maybe you should wait.

pskelding

Troubadour
I love this series also and have read up to 8. I have the other books in my reading pile (which is too large and grows monthly!) I particularly loved how the Rangers were portrayed and spy-scout types and some of the training that Will goes through. It gave me more than a few ideas for my writing.

The author's website shows a note for (new movie) but no details that I can find. The website is really good with some good stuff for fans.

flyboy

Acolyte
I've read them all (I think) I like them, they are simple but well written that mixture of history and fantasy (but I think the earlier ones were less predictable).

Sinitar

Minstrel
I've struggled through the first book and stopped there.

"It's a little better than Eragon." That's how I described the book in a review. The characters are not very realistic, the first book is filled with common fantasy tropes(Will is so special that Halt prepared a 'trap' to show him just how skilled he is; Will has no parents, but has hidden abilities that the other wards do not possess) and the narration is not very catchy.

Whitefur

Dreamer
I tried to give it a read before I was denied that right by the cat above me. I was basically told that it's a typical fantasy story with an evil king, a special order of rangers and a main character that is recruited into said order. That was enough of a persuasion for me not to shuffle through it.

flyboy

Acolyte
I tried to give it a read before I was denied that right by the cat above me. I was basically told that it's a typical fantasy story with an evil king, a special order of rangers and a main character that is recruited into said order. That was enough of a persuasion for me not to shuffle through it.[/QUOTE

Whilst I'm sure you are joking, I think it does serve to emphasize the detrimental effect other peoples criticism can have on a books reputation. I think you should read one yourself and form your own judgement rather than take other peoples gospel and swallow it. I took the books for what they were - simple, uncomplicated, easy to read.

Sinitar

Minstrel
I agree with flyboy. A book may have a different effect on different people. Just because I did not find it very exciting does not mean you will automatically not like it Whitefur.

took the books for what they were - simple, uncomplicated, easy to read.

The books are how you described them. However, I don't think simplicity is really the best way to describe Ranger's apprentice. It's a more gentle way to hint at its...not quite original roots, but I've read stories that are both easy to read and way better in terms of characters and plot than Ranger's apprentice. To be frank, it does not take a huge amount of talent to invent a plot more different and exciting than this classic approach Ranger's Apprentice has used.

Was it that much different if Will was just a nobody and Halt a stranger who was simply struck by compassion? Helping Will because Halt considers it his duty is just silly and does not really work for me. It's almost like the Uncle Ben syndrome(Or lack of family syndrome), only that Halt knew his father insteand.

Uncle Ben Syndrome is where the main character is orphaned and lives with his only remaining relatives (typically his aunt and uncle or just the uncle). This relative then plays a key part in inspiring the character to follow his/her destiny.

pskelding

Troubadour
I think we should keep in mind that Ranger's Apprentice is YA and we shouldn't expect the greatness of a GRRM, Jordan, Sanderson, Erikson, or Abercrombie. But for a YA book I personally feel they are a cut above most in the genre. If anyone here has read my blog I'm posting a series of posts called DNA of a Story in which I show the influences for my current project Dark Archers. Ranger's Apprentice was the first cornerstone influence on my story.