• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Gods And The Afterlife

JacobMGibney

Dreamer
In the world I am currently building (Opurane), there are two gods:

Viercyss - God of the Sun, God of Life.
Issymral - Goddess of the Moon, God of Death.

The Sun is the spring of life, the vessel which carries the soul of every unborn human. The Moon is the crossing to the afterlife, the place where all spent souls must travel in order to be reborn or reach paradise. Souls that cross paths with the Moon during an eclipse will pass on through to the Sun and be reincarnated.

Deijarune is the home of the gods, a series of colossal islands floating above the ocean. At several points, Deijarune is connected to Opurane by mile-wide columns of water that rise up out of the ocean as if to support it. (The Oshah Towers)

The gods rule Deijarune and by connection, all of Opurane, their word is law, their decisions final, their demands met. At the heart of Deijarune lies the Orason, an impossibly large temple said to have been built before Deijarune rose out of the ocean. The souls of the dead pass through the gates of the Orason, leaving through its spire on their journey to the Moon.

The six sub-temples on its outer edge house the Ulutar, the servant-warriors of the Gods. The Gods control the passage of human souls, basically granting them the right to 'move on. This is why the leaders of this world send tribute to Deijarune, to ensure that the Gods remain appeased and allow their people to pass to the afterlife.

There's more to tell, but I just wanted to see what y'all thought ;) cc welcome!​

Svrtnsse

Staff
Article Team
Sounds interesting.
A little bit fluffy in a high-fantasy mythology style kind of way that I like.

Trick

Auror
I like it.

The gods rule Deijarune and by connection, all of Opurane, their word is law, their decisions final, their demands met.

It seems a little iron-clad for fantasy but that is not necessarily a bad thing.

So, do the two gods, of life and death etc. live together in the same place?

JacobMGibney

Dreamer
Something I neglected to mention is that this information is what the humans of Opurane believe. In reality, the gods are false, little more than elevated humans who have used time and Deijarune to create an illusion of power.

Yes the gods live together, I consider them at this point to be lovers, though that might change. :)

Nobby

Sage
Duality is always good, but if this is a sort of a religious dictatorship you are describing, I agree with Svrtnsse in that it is a little bit fluffy sounding. This is just from your brief boiled-down description, you understand.

Trick

Auror
Something I neglected to mention is that this information is what the humans of Opurane believe. In reality, the gods are false, little more than elevated humans who have used time and Deijarune to create an illusion of power.

Yes the gods live together, I consider them at this point to be lovers, though that might change. :)

This makes me think of Warbreaker, in a good way. If you haven't read it, you should. It's not Sanderson's best but it's good and he has it for free in PDF on his website.