• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Seven elements but an empty slot

Foah

Troubadour
My bad, jumped through the posts just quickly scanning for whether or not stone had been suggested ^^ I still do think that the Earth can be modified as to not have stone in it, and put stone seperately. Then you'd have earth for all the landmasses, water for the seas, oceans and rivers, and stone for the mountains, canyons etc.

phillipsauthor

Minstrel
You could do Sound as your 7th. It's a little similar to Light, but I haven't seen the two of them fall under the same category in any other works. Those who could control Sound could create sounds, manipulate sounds, or even use explosive shock-waves of noise to attack others.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
I was gonna let this die since I already made my mind with Frost. But it just won't die.
Thank you all for your suggestions but I'm afraid I have already chosen.

PD: Sound is a great idea, it explains a natural phenomenon (sound) but it's too intangible for me to add it.

Does wood include living plants? That could be a distinction if you wanted.

Also, what about "vorpal"? Vorpal could be any kind of energy not otherwise explained by the rest of the element system; hence to a non-modern culture, electricity (lightning) might be called vorpal. I realize that vorpal is usually used as an adjective, but why not make it into a noun if you want?

Though you can't beat the sound of vorpal blades going snicker-snack.

Xanadu-King

Acolyte
So I have noticed that no one has come up with this yet. Bone... now hear me out, although bone could be placed within another section, such as rot or decay, I say bone because if you look everything that moves, at least within the real world, has bone. Now I will not even involve myself in the ways of the Ents, however even they would need some form of bone structure to control their massive bodies. But I would think bone because bone could be seen as the first true structure ever created, without it nothing that walked could have taken form. I would hope that this is more in your realm of solid/sound objects.

Addison

Auror
Maybe the seventh element is the element that makes magic possible. Mana, Aether, whatever you want to call it. It's also the element which helps to do whatever magic one element alone can not do. You need more than just tides to make a hurricane, more than hot and cold to make a tornado, more than just plants to make a harvest. That could be where Aether comes in.

mbartelsm

Troubadour
Maybe the seventh element is the element that makes magic possible. Mana, Aether, whatever you want to call it. It's also the element which helps to do whatever magic one element alone can not do. You need more than just tides to make a hurricane, more than hot and cold to make a tornado, more than just plants to make a harvest. That could be where Aether comes in.
Already have it, but it's not under physical elements, it's what I called in the first post as Life