• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

Anybody care to share their map?

korabas

Dreamer
Here's a few of my draft fantasy maps

Good thread. Here's a few draft fantasy maps that I was playing with.. the more developed one was the first one that I made, based on the Black Sea region. I wanted to create a few connected countries, with a fairly central smaller island that would be the focus of the conflict.

Sadly, I couldn't get my black sea reference map out of my head - it felt like the story was already set there, rather than on the bespoke map i made, so i went back and took a line map of Black Sea area (focused on Crimea) and basically edited it to suit what I wanted for my story. It's not finished yet, obviously, but feels more 'right' (even though it's ripping off an existing place!)

http://firedownbelow.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-Map-draft-1-317283307

http://firedownbelow.deviantart.com/art/Fantasy-Map-draft-2-317283542

Last edited:

M.F.Hart

Dreamer
Well, your maps look interesting, even though I didn't understand them at all.
I also have a map, but I don't think it's ready to be shown to someone. Maybe sometimes I'll put it in here...

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
very nicely done there Princess :) wish i could do maps, dont have time or my darwing tablet; even though i cannot draw if my life depended on it :) maybe once i get some time i might get something on to here :)

Thanks. :) I just used Paint on the computer. It didn't come out too bad though. Im a decent artist though. At least thats my opinion.

PrincessaMiranda

Troubadour
korabas- That's a pretty good map! I focused more on the entire world, because most of my stories involve that place, but I should create smaller maps for the regions and even some towns.

Chime85

Sage
This is my world, from a large scale.

worldnumbered01.png

Key: The world of Affron

01: Velecel
02: Mystelon
03: Shoul-Hun
04 Lasaphan

Each piece has a much more detailed plotting of places and key points. For the time being, a simple world map gives a quick illustrate guide to the world of Affron.

x

Mindfire

Istar
Eragon's map is meh. I don't deny the artistic skill required to create it, but it has weird things like rivers looping back on themselves. I pull fast ones with geography all the time, but I think there is a line somewhere. But, considering the map separate from the book and ignoring the rivers, it is artfully made.

Malik

Auror
Map of the continent I created for Dragon's Trail.

SirreaRough_zps8a0f7292.png

The trick to this was creating a continent that had reasons to be not quite at war but with nation-states that have no hard borders, are vastly overextended from their centers of power, and are always giving each other the stinkeye. In pre-industrial states, geography creates tension; when you live off the land, where you live is who you are.

I think I posted it somewhere else but here we go:
The original draw, by hand:
map_-_draw.jpeg

And the scanned, coloured, printed and re-scanned one (lost the original digital file).
deveos_3.jpg

Kevlar

Troubadour
map.jpg

My brand new WIP map. Other than eating and working out I spent most of my day in Photoshop doing this. Close up the coasts are still VERY undetailed, this map is 2.5% of the full size one.

map.jpg

My brand new WIP map. Other than eating and working out I spent most of my day in Photoshop doing this. Close up the coasts are still VERY undetailed, this map is 2.5% of the full size one.
Is white the land or black? Very cool either way.

Kevlar

Troubadour
Is white the land or black? Very cool either way.

White's land, black's ocean. I do eventually plan to make the map pretty, though I'm also hoping to have one in a topographic style where I can pick out individual mountains. Having tried that multiple times before I know I'm destined to failure, but you can't win if you don't try.

Wow. I do not have the stomach for that kind of detail. Hat's off to you, sir.

Trust me it only looks this detailed due to the scaling. When I zoom in all the way this is what it looks like at the currently most detailed spot:

mapview_zps4c7f082a.jpg