• Welcome to the Fantasy Writing Forums. Register Now to join us!

From poster board to digital - map question

JBryden88

Troubadour
I wasn't quite sure where to put this but I'll ask it anyway! Whilst on vacation I've been spending the week with a writer friend of mine. I helped her with her map - we got big poster board sheets and she sketched it out. Now, we are looking to figure out .... is there a way to get it effectively on the computer? Taking a picture of it seems out of the question, since it is done in pencil.

My printer isn't big enough to scan the whole thing, would a kincos or the equivalent be able to copy it?

Biggest reason is so that we can look into a commissioned cartographer to do the full thing!

Saigonnus

Auror
Most places like that have wide-format printing and plotting, but not really sure about a wide-format scanner to make it into a digital format. I would *think* if they can print in wide-format, then they could scan as well.

CupofJoe

Myth Weaver
You might need to find a photographer [professional or amateur] who has a rostrum stand. Depending on how large your map is they should be able to lay your map on a flat surface [floor or table] and use the rostrum to take an image from directly above. If they are good, they should also be able to light it from all sides to lessen creases, flash-back etc. If you map is huge [6ft+] then you might have trouble finding a [camera] rostrum large enough. You can make them if you feel like being creative...
My other solution is to take lots of smaller images [carefully - square on and slightly overlapping] and then use panorama software to stitch them together. I've used this method to record cathedral ceilings, stone-work and stained windows [at a resolution I couldn't get in a few wider images]. The results are not perfect but can be surprisingly good.

JBryden88

Troubadour
As it turns out we took it to Staples and it got done and emailed and all! Thanks for the tips anyway!